Stihl dying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Ray

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I ck vent, replaced fuel line and filter, cranks ok runs but then dies , was dying in cut, but now it just dies, thought it could be coil, but when you choke it , it will start. so seems a fuel problem as you can move choke on an off and keep it runnig. I'm on the fence whether to put a kit in the carb as I already cleaned it before and screen was clogged or get a new aftermarket carb as I have had good luck with them in the past. What say yee?

what saw are we talking about? Would check the ignition coil for spark and eliminate that option. Then I would check all fuel lines and impulse line. Impulse line is a common place to come undone and cause saws to die or not run properly. Normally walbro carb kits are universal and are fairly cheap. Would definitely trust an oem carb vs Chinese aftermarket carb.

what saw are we talking about? Would check the ignition coil for spark and eliminate that option. Then I would check all fuel lines and impulse line. Impulse line is a common place to come undone and cause saws to die or not run properly. Normally walbro carb kits are universal and are fairly cheap. Would definitely trust an oem carb vs Chinese aftermarket carb.
stihl 041, sorry I have replaced impulse line , fuel filter, vent, fuel line, considered coil but when it dies can choke it and will crank and run for a minute. I first cleaned carb and ran for a few cuts, but now dies prety quick, didn't replace anything in the carb , so I guess i'll put a kit in it.t

stihl 041, sorry I have replaced impulse line , fuel filter, vent, fuel line, considered coil but when it dies can choke it and will crank and run for a minute. I first cleaned carb and ran for a few cuts, but now dies prety quick, didn't replace anything in the carb , so I guess i'll put a kit in it.t
Gotcha. Yeah I would start with a carb kit sounds like it’s a fuel delivery problem.

Way to check your spark is pull the plug reinstall into coil put the spark plug on the top of the cylinder and then pull the starter cord and watch for a spark off the plug. Hopefully this helps you some.

I would add...by the time you get the carb off, you are 1/2-way to doing a pressure and vac test...which will also have you looking at the piston through the exhaust port.

Close to three for the price of one.

I ck vent, replaced fuel line and filter, cranks ok runs but then dies , was dying in cut, but now it just dies, thought it could be coil, but when you choke it , it will start. so seems a fuel problem as you can move choke on an off and keep it runnig. I'm on the fence whether to put a kit in the carb as I already cleaned it before and screen was clogged or get a new aftermarket carb as I have had good luck with them in the past. What say yee?
check the muffler screen

Thanks guys ,I've cked the piston and cylinder and they are good, compression seems very good I don;t have tools for pressure and vac test., not my primary saw just enjoy tinkering and learning.also no muffler screen.

When you go through the carb, you need to remove the needle/lever/spring, and make sure that the passageway under it isn't semi-clogged by holding it up to a light.
Also that model is bad about bolts vibrating loose, and the stack of crap under the carb develops air leaks.
Also, you may consider that the 041 may have points and condenser, so you ought to clean and adjust those.

Guys i'm ebarassed to report something, I've been working on several different projects, I forgot (I believe on this saw )when I replaced the fuel or impulse line the barb on the carb came out, I put it back of course but may be source of a leak, DUH!

Latest posts

Back