Homelite tuing help maybe idles bogs dies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the Walbro carbs they have a little disc shaped valve that goes bad occasionally. Problem I've found is that the new valve costs more than the saw is worth. This valve is not included in the rebuild kits.
Where in God's Creation are you buying the Walbro 86-523 kits from that are so costly?Don't tell me - eBay.I've bought those kits from a small engine repair shop for around $5.I'm sure the Little Red is worth more than $5.

Where in God's Creation are you buying the Walbro 86-523 kits from that are so costly?Don't tell me - eBay.I've bought those kits from a small engine repair shop for around $5.I'm sure the Little Red is worth more than $5.
I think you misunderstood, the kits aren't expensive. On the HDC family of carbs they have a little brass circle shaped ring with a screen over it; under it is a little disc which operates as a one way valve, it's sold as a one piece unit for around $20. The valve is not included in the normal carb kit, just the screen for some reason. As old as these carbs are many of the valves have gone bad and makes the saw run rough. Leon's Homelite repair could probably explain it better than I can.

I think you misunderstood, the kits aren't expensive. On the HDC family of carbs they have a little brass circle shaped ring with a screen over it; under it is a little disc which operates as a one way valve, it's sold as a one piece unit for around $20. The valve is not included in the normal carb kit, just the screen for some reason. As old as these carbs are many of the valves have gone bad and makes the saw run rough. Leon's Homelite repair could probably explain it better than I can.
I knew exactly what you were talking about.The check valve nozzle repair kit is a Walbro 86-523.I've had Leon repair quite a few carbs for me due to my eyes being so bad that I can't do a check valve replacement.I found the check valve repair kit at Small Engine Pro Dealers for $5.20

It could still be the (your) carb as the two guys above are relating too.
I've replaced the little check valve but I do not do so until I've subbed the carb and got a good run and know for sure that the issue is in the carb that is causing the problem.
Some of the Homie carbs I've been into to replace the check valve requires a good work bench light and patience. I have replaced the check valve and carb still checks bad.??????????????????????? (patience is your friend)
But I usually do not go the extra mile in time and effort for old equipment that is not mine and especially knowing that the old vintage eq being repaired is not going be receiving any
TLC from the owner operator.

If I do not have a good carb to sub test with I at least do a vac/pressure test.

I knew exactly what you were talking about.The check valve nozzle repair kit is a Walbro 86-523.I've had Leon repair quite a few carbs for me due to my eyes being so bad that I can't do a check valve replacement.I found the check valve repair kit at Small Engine Pro Dealers for $5.20
Okay. I'd just never seen them that cheap, fully assembled. The little round piece I can make myself but the ring would be hard to fabricate. Sometimes I just replace the Homelite stock carbs with a Tillotson or a Zama.

Okay. I'd just never seen them that cheap, fully assembled. The little round piece I can make myself but the ring would be hard to fabricate. Sometimes I just replace the Homelite stock carbs with a Tillotson or a Zama.
A Tillotson HK carb is the worst carb I've ever dealt with.Zamas are nice n snappy.The Walbros are consistently a PITA.Yeah,you can make that little disc out of a leftover diaphragm that comes in a carb kit that you don't always need.Same material as the disc.
I found another place to buy the check valve nozzle kit for less than $4,but I'll bet they want $10 to ship.

Here is some info about the check valve and how to make/install /replace. (and other just general info)from experience

Their are two different sizes in diameter of the check valves.
Them little XL saws had several different designs. You have to be careful and make sure that the parts you are buying is for the one you are working on.
I've tried to take parts from a donor saw that looked same on the outside but parts were different. Point being you can end up MARRIED to them little XL's by easily getting more $$'s invested in one of them type saws (not counting your time) than they are worth. What seems to hurt them most often is long term storage with out being used. Some chain saws can be stored long time and still operate, these do not store well for long term. I'm relating to the XL 2 types. I use them as ATV and jeep trail saws because they are light weight and are small even when in a plastic storage case and not a great loss if someone steals them. I always test one before going to the woods to do work, just because. I keep some around as donor saws for parts, especially the carbs/recoils/gas and oil caps.

https://houseofhomelite.proboards.com/thread/9509

Latest posts

Back