046 inspection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightj12

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
This is an update on a previous post (saw purchased on e-bay) where I had difficulty starting the saw; got the saw started & am now checking the fuel system. Pulled the carb & muffler & checked the piston; looks good. The saw must have been rebuilt or very lightly used. No heat deflector behind the muffler & heat deflection tape on the case; is this necessary? No spark screen in the muffler w/ stock opening; considering a mod here w/ installation of screen. Carb is a Walbro (21-4772-2) & I figure I will rebuild it; the limiters are not in place which is good. After pulling the throttle linkage & removing the carb, the start switch shaft seems to be frozen (removed wires during carb removal); will this 'un-stick' during reassembly? The fuel line looks OK (no cracks) & the filter does not look visibly plugged. The impulse line looks a little hard but the carb nipple did not show evidence of leakage; I should probably change this (after a pressure/vacume check of the case?) Looks like I have to pull the tank to do this. I still have to do a compression check on the piston and will update. Thanks for all the help so far.

The heat tape has been missing for awhile, keeps the paint from turning dark and helps reflect some of the heat away. Clean that area and degrease it good, put some HVAC aluminum tape or order the OEM tape if you want. Change the fuel line and filter, give the saw a carb kit and pressure test it if you'd like. Normally a pressure test is done when you suspect an air leak and the indication is normally a scored piston. That saws piston looks good, probably not a leak. Adjust the carb after the kit. From what your saying the fella that owned the saw before you had it tuned correctly... no scoring, limiters were already pulled or it didn't come with them. It's an 046 so probably weren't there to begin with. If you need to, use a little fine sandpaper to loosen up the kill switch shaft, it snaps in place. Impulse is not to hard to change out, use a pair of 6" forceps and it shouldn't take but a couple minutes. Open the muffler opening up, add the spark screen, put the deflector back in and go cut some wood!

Good luck.

Latest posts

Back