050-058-063?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kf_tree

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
if a saw is set up for a 3/8 chain ...what is the advantage of one over the other? why even have 3 choice's?

The .063 gauge is built I believe for larger engines, and more power, while the .050 is for midrange, and smaller units that dont pack the torque/power to break the chain so easily.

all i've ever run on all my saw's except a 3120 is 050(the 3120 was 404). i've run many a 394 /395 at 050 and never had a problem with breaking chains. i had dozer dan build a 395 and he shipped it with an 058 bar and chain.

if chain strength is the issue i guess i can by it. but it still seems like a waste for the manufacturer's to produce 3 chains when one will do.

I don't know why all the choices. I run .050 on everything including the 3120. I've never had a chain break on anything.

.63 is a carry over from the torque monsters like the 090 and mac's. It boils down to thinner chain less wear and tear. If you start breaking chain step up to 58. I do know a guy who could snap chain with a 056 like it was dental floss. He was a chaser on landings and ran a 056 mag full trottle and slam knots and limbs as fast and as hard as he could. He had to run 63 to stay productive. Probably one of the best chasers around.

if you want to support your local small engines dealer, go with whatever gauge he carries ... different regions use different widths. when you need a chain in a pinch, if you have 050 bar and his market is 058, you are screwed until the UPS man comes around.

theoreticaly, the rivits in 058 chain should have more bearing surface against the champhered holes in the drivers of an 050 gauge, so *theoretically it holds up better under tension and stress.

the comparison has to be made not at the 050 driver "thickness" v the 058 driver "thickness" per se, but at the bearing surfaces of the rivits (say 2/3 of the rivit diameter times its bore length) where they ride against the champhered holes of the drivers. the 058 gains bearing surface in comparison to the increase in chain weight over 050. the better the chain holds up, the longer the sprocket and bar last. a laminated 058 bar will be stronger than a laminated 050, and will weigh more.

.050 and .058 gage chain are all built on the same width components. The only difference in .050 gage is the the part of the drive link that runs in the bar groove is thinned up to .050" The rivet bearing area and the chain strength should be nearly identical between .050 and .058 gage chain. The drive sprocket will see slightly less stress because of the wider drive link on .058 gage, but not much else will be different. Now, .063 gage truly does have wider drive links.

Molecule said:

theoreticaly, the rivits in 058 chain should have more bearing surface against the champhered holes in the drivers of an 050 gauge, so *theoretically it holds up better under tension and stress.

the comparison has to be made not at the 050 driver "thickness" v the 058 driver "thickness" per se, but at the bearing surfaces of the rivits (say 2/3 of the rivit diameter times its bore length) where they ride against the champhered holes of the drivers. the 058 gains bearing surface in comparison to the increase in chain weight over 050. the better the chain holds up, the longer the sprocket and bar last.................

Huh? ;) I thought all the .50 drivers were made from .58 stock and then ground down to .50. At least on the oregon, all the rivets are identical when comparing 72 and 73

Proprietary products.-Therein lies the explanation.Long ago, Homelite standardized on .050, Stihl on .063 and Husqvarna went for .058. In theory .063 is more durable but also heavier. As already mentioned .058 has no advantage over .050 because the industry decided to build them using as many common components as possible so only the drivelinks are changed. Use what is most available or what you already have guidebars for. I run mostly .050 but I have two long bars that are .058 so I keep a couple of chains for them.

Latest posts

Back