.050 Bar vs .063 pros cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called Oregon's tech line and they couldn't help much except to say that maybe the bar had been re-contoured, but this wouldn't explain why the 50 and 63 (93 DL) would be different from the 58 gauge (92 DL). Then I called Frawley's and spoke to Jim. He said both the 92 and 93 DL would work, but that the extra DL was added for this bar--288...009 (28" .058ga)--for an 8 pin sprocket, and that the 92 DL is actually better suited to the 7 pin. And that the 93 on a 7 pin gets thrown too much. He knows this from experience and knew exactly what I was talkin about. Great to find folk like this. Didn't ask, but I'm guessin this holds true for the 50 and 63ga chains too?

I called Oregon's tech line and they couldn't help much except to say that maybe the bar had been re-contoured, but this wouldn't explain why the 50 and 63 (93 DL) would be different from the 58 gauge (92 DL). Then I called Frawley's and spoke to Jim. He said both the 92 and 93 DL would work, but that the extra DL was added for this bar--288...009 (28" .058ga)--for an 8 pin sprocket, and that the 92 DL is actually better suited to the 7 pin. And that the 93 on a 7 pin gets thrown too much. He knows this from experience and knew exactly what I was talkin about. Great to find folk like this. Didn't ask, but I'm guessin this holds true for the 50 and 63ga chains too?

I'm guessing you are right about that! The above certainly makes sense. :D

Different sprockets make sense, but not the gauge. Do Huskys (.058) normally come with a different sprocket?

Philbert

They usually comes with 7-pins from the factory, as do most other saws.

I have been told it has to do with the nominal chain speed vs. the rating of PPE. That is of course totally irrelevant BS, as anyone that really know how things really work will know - but it may work towards potential critics (and lawyers), that are unlikely to know.....

I had thought that the smaller saws, say 50cc and down, might come with the 8 pin since the bars would be short and the torque lacking, in which case the higher rpm would be both safer and compensatory. New to all this and am enjoying the learning of it all. Once we had the 445 (our first chainsaw), I knew I had to have another, hence the 365. Even think I wanna start collectin, especially summa the late 60s pieces. Strange the way I've been bitten by the chainsaw bug. All I wanna do is cut. Great site here.

This is on the package from a STIHL bar. Note how it specs a different drive link count for different saws, but that is because the recommended sprocket size changes.

Same bar. Same pitch. Same gauge. Same brand.

Guess that is another reason to own a spinner/breaker.

Philbert
image.jpg

Well, while I appreciate and trust what was told me, especially as he was speaking from experience, the Oregon selector guide still seems a bit funky since it's recommending the 93 DL for the other two gauges and 7 pin sprocket. Guess I just happened to get lucky...that by getting the 58 ga bar, I just happened to get the selector's better fitting 92 DL chain...unless of course there are appreciable dimension differences in these chains on BOTH ends (50 and 63), but what are the chances of that?

Have no desire to own a spinner/breaker. This gives me another reason to go shoot the breeze at the local saw shop.:)

This is on the package from a STIHL bar. Note how it specs a different drive link count for different saws, but that is because the recommended sprocket size changes.

Same bar. Same pitch. Same gauge. Same brand.

Guess that is another reason to own a spinner/breaker.

Philbert
View attachment 336191

It is normal that a 9-pin means an extra dl - but not really common that also an 8-pin does. It is easy enough to imagine how those exceptions happen though.

I have an Echo saw that came with a 57DL bar and chain. 56DL will not fit on it for love or money. Aftermarket bars for this saw are all 56DL, which is a popular size used on a number of other saws. But those are different bars.

(I guess that I could look at grinding out the bar slot a little longer on the Echo OEM bars and see if the oil holes still line up and if the tails clear.)

Philbert

The holes in some drive links are also supposed to help carry oil around the bar, as well as the dimpled tie straps.

Philbert

Just remember that if a chain can hold oil it can also hold dirt. These dimples are a great idea under clean conditions which also happen to be the same conditions where oil supply isn't as critical.
In dirty conditions I have a feeling these dimples will help turn a .050" bar into a .063" bar faster :)

I have an Echo saw that came with a 57DL bar and chain. 56DL will not fit on it for love or money. Aftermarket bars for this saw are all 56DL, which is a popular size used on a number of other saws. But those are different bars.

(I guess that I could look at grinding out the bar slot a little longer on the Echo OEM bars and see if the oil holes still line up and if the tails clear.)

Philbert

The real issue is that you have an Echo saw! :sucks:

Latest posts

Back