Bought a new ms500i powerhead today…what gauge bar/chain is everyone running?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcclain210

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Picking up a 25” es light bar. I see it comes in .050 and .063. Which is the best option? I dont want to get buyers remorse after dropping 200+ dollars on a bar and 2 chains. Thanks guys.

Picking up a 25” es light bar. I see it comes in .050 and .063. Which is the best option? I dont want to get buyers remorse after dropping 200+ dollars on a bar and 2 chains. Thanks guys.
.063 just adds unnecessary weight on bars under 40”, imo.
make sure you have an 8tooth rim sprocket as well.
basic muffler mod on the 500 will help keep it cooler.
enjoy! 😁

I really appreciate everyones input! This forum is truly awesome👍🏻 Im going to grab the .50. I will also check for 8 tooth. I didnt know that they came in different tooth counts on the es lightweight bars.

I really appreciate everyones input! This forum is truly awesome👍🏻 Im going to grab the .50. I will also check for 8 tooth. I didnt know that they came in different tooth counts on the es lightweight bars.

8 tooth is for speed. The 500i is plenty fast. 7 for torque and more useful for 2 strokes. But go ahead, they only cost about $7.xx Keep in mind, you might have to lengthen the chain in doing so. Just something to think about.

8 tooth is for speed. The 500i is plenty fast. 7 for torque and more useful for 2 strokes. But go ahead, they only cost about $7.xx Keep in mind, you might have to lengthen the chain in doing so. Just something to think about.
Not on either a 24 or 28" chain, at least not on mine. On smaller wood speed is king, imo.

Go with 3/8" pitch, x .050 gauge...on a 25" guide bar, thats always a 84dl chain. Defintely go with FULL Chisel chain. This is all predicated on the clutch drum already being a 3/8".

There is a 25" bar, NIP, and 6 NIB chains on eb right now.....same seller. $128.80 at the moment. Thats total. There is also a combo with 2 chains as you mention.....thats $160, total.

Running with the pack here. 500i 3/8 .050. 32" bar is what I keep on it. Big stumps and trunk work are it's main job. Have both full and skip loops. Most of the work here are yard trees with metal. A skip loop maybe a little slower but way faster to sharpen. Most of the shops carry .050. It's hit or miss with .058 and .063. The husky .058, Stihl .063 history runs deep here as the shops only have pre made loops for their house brand.

Normally people who buy a saw in the 500i class already have bars and chains on hand. Or at very least already have preference on chain to run.

Threads like this blow me.

There’s two things you need to consider when choosing a saw chain. Length of bar and displacement of power head. 70cc saws in general are good with .050 gauge but anything bigger than that should really be running .058 or .063 gauge. For example a Stihl 661 regardless of bar length should be running .063 gauge chain. You need a thicker link to handle the power of a 90cc power head. If a link breaks at wot in the cut chances are good your gonna get cut. This is not the same as throwing a chain because you have a loose end that can whip and not be caught by the chain catcher. Just something to think about.

I recommend all saws in arsenal run the same. Everyone elses mileage may vary as they whip differently than i through this world.

Ofcourse the big guns need bigger bullets so set up accordingly

Normally people who buy a saw in the 500i class already have bars and chains on hand. Or at very least already have preference on chain to run.

Threads like this blow me.
Whats the issue? I have an ms171, ms201tc, ms261cm, ms462cm and ms500i now. I knew what I wanted on every other saw. I just wanted opinions if it were worth it to go to a .63 gauge bar or not. I dont get why its such an off the wall question??

500i is fine with 3/8 050 ive even ran it on my 084s never snapped a chain. Doesn't mean it's thevcorrect chain for you just means i have so i use it works for me

Latest posts

Back