051 in trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martinjs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys, I'm not that new to the site, but I've mostly read and learned from the wealth of good information available on this great site. I hope some of you will comment on the pictures that I try to post here. I was not able to get a compression reading before dissasembling my 051. The compression release leaks badly, and I don't have a plug for it. Anyway, can anyone tell me how bad this damage is , and what I need to replace immediately. If I need to take more measurements I can do that. I have a set of outside and inside reading micrometers that I inherited from my father. He was the best mechanic anyone had ever seen at Greyhound in Norfolk, VA for 42 years. He told me that you had to understand how something works before you can fix it, and that you had to be smarter than the dog to train him. Good advice I think. Unfortunately he passed away two years ago. I learned a good bit from him, but I wish I had worked with him more. Thanks in advance for your help.

My opinion

I don't think you need a cly. Scotch brite pad, piston and rings, gasket set, plug or replace the comp release, tune it well (with tach) cut wood and have a cool one at the end of the day.

Thank you bobbyb13. I will do just thank, except I might have a cool one during the repair (no wood cutting today. Thanks again.

Good Post

Guys, I'm not that new to the site, but I've mostly read and learned from the wealth of good information available on this great site. I hope some of you will comment on the pictures that I try to post here. I was not able to get a compression reading before dissasembling my 051. The compression release leaks badly, and I don't have a plug for it. Anyway, can anyone tell me how bad this damage is , and what I need to replace immediately. If I need to take more measurements I can do that. I have a set of outside and inside reading micrometers that I inherited from my father. He was the best mechanic anyone had ever seen at Greyhound in Norfolk, VA for 42 years. He told me that you had to understand how something works before you can fix it, and that you had to be smarter than the dog to train him. Good advice I think. Unfortunately he passed away two years ago. I learned a good bit from him, but I wish I had worked with him more. Thanks in advance for your help.

I certainly think your pics are well done!:greenchainsaw: Let see what everyone says. I would replace everything but that's because if I took the time to take it apart, I'm only wanting to do it once!:popcorn:

Thank you Steve128. I'll take all the help I can get. I appreciate the prompt posts to the new guy. Best regards

Latest posts

Back