051 no spark fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanInAdelaide

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
There is a little bit of information about the no spark fix (ignition/trigger) in various threads for the Stihl 051 but most of the pictures are missing. Does anyone have a link to a description with pictures?
Cheers
Nathan

Hi All,
There is a little bit of information about the no spark fix (ignition/trigger) in various threads for the Stihl 051 but most of the pictures are missing. Does anyone have a link to a description with pictures?
Cheers
Nathan
One thing a guy showed me once was to take a sheet of paper and fold it in half, wrap it around the flywheel covering the magnets and lineing them up with the trigger. Then back out the screws on the coil and let it snap closed on to the magnets. Tighten screws back and remove paper. This is a very good setting and is super simple.

Any recommendations of where to get the replacement module?
I am guessing that there are no Aussie sellers who have stock?

How about these guys? Is this ok?
https://store-52363.mybigcommerce.com/cart.php?tk=51umiu7np2i5mqnhlkltssgi83
Anyone who has used these care to comment?
Thanks Nathan
Left coast Supplies good prices, good service. He is also a site member. Look under sponsor links on this sites home page. Name is grande dog. He is helping me sort out a gear, bar and chain thing for my homeaid mill project.

If you can get one from LCS, get that one. I just checked and the Nova II module is on Ebay for about $11.00. I put a Nova II in my Homelite Super 1050 and it works great. Had the electronic module on my John Deer 265 go bad and JD wanted $70.00 for a new one. Put the Nova II on the Deere over a year ago and it's running great too, Joe.

From what I have read I need to ID the type of 051 first? breakerless or breaker controlled?

Am I right in assuming that the breakerless one has only one wire coming out the top? which is grounded? because that is how the manual looks?
I have the breaker controlled type if that is the case.

Or if I am wrong......Can anyone tell by looking at them which model? or do I have to take off the flywheel?
Working on photos. will upload some soon or may start a build thread?

Nathan, go back to the main menu, scroll down a ways till you see "Chainsaws". All those guys do is build saws, we mostly mill. They can walk you through any process step by step, probably with pictures. You will get more specific answers to your saw instead of generic answers over here, Joe.

Yep... I have some river reds (red gum) in my sights which have been dead for 20 years..... Still standing, probably eaten out by termites but until we go cut them down we don't know.
That is pretty hard on the saw though. Have loads of questions about chains etc for milling that type of wood but one step at a time... need saw going first!
Cheers

Latest posts

Back