056 MagII progress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big feller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just put together the last of the engine bits on my Build a MagII From Parts project. Most of this is NOS:

attachment.php

A couple of things I learned along the way:

All 045 and 056 up to the MagII seem to have Tillotson HS carb. MagII has Walbro WJ4. This looks vey similar, but intake is about 1mm larger. This doesn't seem much, but it's plenty in percentage terms. Strangely, Walbro don't list this application on their web site.

There is a different air cleaner front half listed for this carb. Looks pretty much identical. I bought new since I assumed it had larger hole. When it measured the same I thought I had wasted my money until I came to fit the filter box cover. With filter assembly from 056 Super the knob wouldn't turn shut. Change to new part - bingo! There must be a height difference between carbs made up for by the filter. Part for MII is 1115 120 1629.
The new filter box cover is same dimensions as the old one - it just has a couple of extra cut-outs to let more air in.

Just put together the last of the engine bits on my Build a MagII From Parts project. Most of this is NOS:

attachment.php

A couple of things I learned along the way:

All 045 and 056 up to the MagII seem to have Tillotson HS carb. MagII has Walbro WJ4. This looks vey similar, but intake is about 1mm larger. This doesn't seem much, but it's plenty in percentage terms. Strangely, Walbro don't list this application on their web site.

There is a different air cleaner front half listed for this carb. Looks pretty much identical. I bought new since I assumed it had larger hole. When it measured the same I thought I had wasted my money until I came to fit the filter box cover. With filter assembly from 056 Super the knob wouldn't turn shut. Change to new part - bingo! There must be a height difference between carbs made up for by the filter. Part for MII is 1115 120 1629.
The new filter box cover is same dimensions as the old one - it just has a couple of extra cut-outs to let more air in.

Thats a fine looking piece of work you got going there. Be sure to post more pics as you go. Good job..

Very nice looking. Keep posting pictures of your progress.:cheers:

wow, you are going to have the only 2007 model 056MII on site!
good looking saw
-Ralph

Nice! Just for authentisity.. The MAG 2 has a series of holes drilled in the side of the airbox.. FHCW might have a pic of one, or I can dig one up at work...

Nice Saw

Nice work, keep us posted on the progress. I could eat off that thing.:clap: :cheers:

Nice! Just for authentisity.. The MAG 2 has a series of holes drilled in the side of the airbox.. FHCW might have a pic of one, or I can dig one up at work...

Are you talking about the saw I sold to Bryce? I sold him an 056 a while back that I had bought at my local pawn shop, and someone had drilled holes in the side of the filter cover. I got that saw to run, but it was just a standard to I flipped it.

Are you talking about the saw I sold to Bryce? I sold him an 056 a while back that I had bought at my local pawn shop, and someone had drilled holes in the side of the filter cover. I got that saw to run, but it was just a standard to I flipped it.

Nope... The drilled holes are a factory mod... The first mag2's were too tight in the carb box, so they sent out a template and subsequent shipments were factory drilled.

Yep.. when the mod came out, a lot of guys tried to just copy it... with a 3/8 makita and a 6 pack..

I'll try to find one of the orginal tech StihlNW tech sheets detailing this.

I'll try to find one of the orginal tech StihlNW tech sheets detailing this.

Thanks, Andy. Much appreciated.

I haven't noticed these holes on the very few MIIs I've seen. Anyone else feel like posting a picture of one of these?

Hey, Man,
That saw is looking good!
Glad to see all those parts are being put to good use.
I will look around here to see what I can find about the filter cover.
Did you see my camo MS 170?
Maybe you should paint that one the same?
No, better keep it stock.

just switch the nut

I have a MagII as well that I bought a new air filter for. I was having trouble with the cover fitting as well :confused: Reading this thread helped me understand why the cover wasn't fitting. Instead of buying a new filter cover I just popped out the cylinder nut from the old filter and put it on the new filter cover. The little inside horizontal peg on the nuts are at different depths. Cover fits just like it should and no money spent.

Brian

Back