056 MAGNUM II ignition coil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dunno,

Think I remember Lakeside talking about 056 mag ignitions years back.

Seems there were three systems that were put on them?

Points/Bosch/SEM.

That Stihl puller won't work if it's a Bosch.

I think all Mag II's were SEM. I have had several and they were SEM and took the 066 type puller. The thing is he could have a super with a Mag II plate on it. Lot of that either just as replacing broken or actually trying to scam somebody.

Last edited:
When I didn't have a puller I wrapped a piece of wire around it and pulled the #### out of it till it came off.

You can put a Bosch on a Mag II, but they did not come that way.

The reason the SEM flywheels are so scarce is because they have been bought up to convert the failure prone Bosch to SEM.

you need to look at page 5 of that link from Lakeside.

you need to look at page 5 of that link from Lakeside.

I have read that thread several times and have rebuilt several MagII's. If you can show me where he says anywhere that a Mag II ever came stock with a Bosche I will stand corrected. Just because he has an old 056 with a Bosche that he can use on a Mag II if he has to doesn't mean that Stihl ever made them that way.

I have read that thread several times and have rebuilt several MagII's. If you can show me where he says anywhere that a Mag II ever came stock with a Bosche I will stand corrected. Just because he has an old 056 with a Bosche that he can use on a Mag II if he has to doesn't mean that Stihl ever made them that way.

I stand corrected,

just trying to help the brother out.

It's an old saw, who knows what is what?

The thing I do know is a bosch will work (you need the right flywheel)

I have studied the bosch ignitions quite a bit.

They used them on quite a few Sachs Dolmars.

At this point the original poster just wants spark (at the right time of course)

I stand corrected,

just trying to help the brother out.

It's an old saw, who knows what is what?

The thing I do know is a bosch will work (you need the right flywheel)

I have studied the bosch ignitions quite a bit.

They used them on quite a few Sachs Dolmars.

At this point the original poster just wants spark (at the right time of course)

Yep. And just because the plate says Mag II doesn't mean it is one.

At any rate, he should be able to figure out what he needs to get it off whichever it is.

As always it is hard to find any IPLs for Stihls.

Had a bunch on my old 'puter,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that crashed.

So the MagII only came with SEM?

When I didn't have a puller I wrapped a piece of wire around it and pulled the #### out of it till it came off.

I would like to see that trick.

I've had them on there so tight that after putting more pressure on the bolts than should be needed, it still would not budge.

Tried holding the puller and giving it a couple raps, no love.

I finally got the propane torch out and with the bolts still tensioned heated around the bore.

20 seconds later heard a distinct ring, pop goes the weasel.

Hello again Gentlemen,,
Thanks heaps for all the help and interest,,hopefully i can post something useful here one day to,,,LOL:msp_thumbup:
Thought i might attempt to post some pics to help make the thread a little more interesting,,please dont bag out my old saw
i am a wanna be lumber jack on a tight budget with a bad e bay habbit,,but the dream is alive and thats all that counts:biggrin::cool2:

Next step,,off to brothers to use his harmonic balance thingy ma jig,,:hmm3grin2orange:
will post some pics for the discerning eye hopefully of a removed flywheel and ignition coil:D

Thanks Zerojunk,,i did notice those threads when i removed nut from flywheel,,just didn't no their purpose,,awesome:blob2:
i think i am finally begining to see the light:laugh:

Three work shops ,5 harmonic balance pullers and one auto store later
056 magnum II flywheel 1,,back yard mechanics 0 :dizzy:
could not find a balance puller the right size to get all three legs under for an even pull,,
unfortunatley gunna have to visit the stihl dealer so he can use his secret weapon to pop it off:angry::angry::angry::taped::taped::taped:

1 Check plug lead is not damaged & shorting out.
2 Check earth wire for the same.
3 The kill switch on these saws is prone to fail, in the off or on position.
Excellent saw with a 25" bar! i have seen quite a few 056,s that have had the bar studs over tightened resulting in a cracked crank case!
If you get stuck for a SEM ignition let me know.
I'v had 056 Mags for over 20 years, still have 7 of them(4of them running) i hold them in high regard, its a pity parts are getting so hard to find.
good luck with yours.

Three work shops ,5 harmonic balance pullers and one auto store later
056 magnum II flywheel 1,,back yard mechanics 0 :dizzy:
could not find a balance puller the right size to get all three legs under for an even pull,,
unfortunatley gunna have to visit the stihl dealer so he can use his secret weapon to pop it off:angry::angry::angry::taped::taped::taped:

STOP!
You will break your fanwheel, remove the three screws from fanwheel , the proper puller (Stihl tool number 11078904500) then screws on in its place and hey presto!!

Latest posts

Back