056 stihl aftermarket bosch electronic module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobile_bob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
having bought one of the 056supers with the failing bosch module i opted to give the aftermarket offered by the german ebay seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190590733267?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

the part came in yesterday in good order, took about a week to get from germany to kansas, not bad in my opinion at all.

i have to say i really had my doubts about this unit, the coil is approx 30 degree's in the retarded position to that of the bosch coil, it also means the coil wire needs to be about an inch or so longer, however i managed to make my oem wire work for testing.

for the life of me i see no reason that the saw should even come close to starting and running, but i put it together anyway.

3 pulls and off it went, runs as it should, however i might be a touch retarded in timing, but my bet is it is well within limits and within adjustment available with the slots in the mounting base. i installed it mid slot and will probably run it there till i can round up a timing light to check it out for sure.

i am pretty certain that it is not too far advanced, as i still have all my fingers after yanking the rope.

once i get it proved out, i will take it back apart and install a longer wire, replace the oem shutdown wire to the switch that is falling apart, and put in a dab of rtv to secure the wiring on the plate so vibration doesn't cause issues down the road.

not a cheap fix, however at 125 bucks delivered i feel that if it proves reliable as it should be, it is a viable alternative to getting dead 045 and 056's back in the wood.

fwiw
bob g

just an update

two tanks of gas, ripping up some maple crotches using a crosscut chain and a 32" bar
(i know this is not optimal but all i have on hand right now), anyway gave the saw a good workout and all is as it should be.

starts up fine, runs very strong, even when the chain hit a rock and was very dull the saw would not bog down, it just made a lot of smoke in the cut.

so now i guess i will check the timing to confirm it is within spec's, then take it apart and install a new kill switch wire, a longer sparkplug wire, and a dab of rtv to keep the
wiring secure to the mount plate.

this repair option might be old news to folks, still thought a report might be useful to someone.

bob g

Bob,
New here. Came here looking for a fix for my 041 AV Bosch electronic iggy. I'm considering ordering this. Were there any customs duties on it? The seller doesn't seem to be real familiar with that, suggested I talk to US Customs. I'm willing to spend the money, but I don't want any surprises! Any input or advise? May also try Foggysail's fix. Thanks.

Mike

having bought one of the 056supers with the failing bosch module i opted to give the aftermarket offered by the german ebay seller

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190590733267?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

the part came in yesterday in good order, took about a week to get from germany to kansas, not bad in my opinion at all.

i have to say i really had my doubts about this unit, the coil is approx 30 degree's in the retarded position to that of the bosch coil, it also means the coil wire needs to be about an inch or so longer, however i managed to make my oem wire work for testing.

for the life of me i see no reason that the saw should even come close to starting and running, but i put it together anyway.

3 pulls and off it went, runs as it should, however i might be a touch retarded in timing, but my bet is it is well within limits and within adjustment available with the slots in the mounting base. i installed it mid slot and will probably run it there till i can round up a timing light to check it out for sure.

i am pretty certain that it is not too far advanced, as i still have all my fingers after yanking the rope.

once i get it proved out, i will take it back apart and install a longer wire, replace the oem shutdown wire to the switch that is falling apart, and put in a dab of rtv to secure the wiring on the plate so vibration doesn't cause issues down the road.

not a cheap fix, however at 125 bucks delivered i feel that if it proves reliable as it should be, it is a viable alternative to getting dead 045 and 056's back in the wood.

fwiw
bob g
there is a gent,, that posted how to repair them, for about 5 clams. on this site....http://www.arboristsite.com/community/posts/5132192/

there is a gent,, that posted how to repair them, for about 5 clams. on this site....

Olyman,
Thanks. I had seen that thread. My problem is the saw has the Sem ignition. I just ordered a Bosch electronic ignition flywheel and the German retrofit ignition. Taxes will be what they are, I'll post that info here when I find out. The saw was my late father-in-law's gift to my son. So it's more of a sentimental thing, even though it may not be the most economical fix.

Mike

Olyman,
Thanks. I had seen that thread. My problem is the saw has the Sem ignition. I just ordered a Bosch electronic ignition flywheel and the German retrofit ignition. Taxes will be what they are, I'll post that info here when I find out. The saw was my late father-in-law's gift to my son. So it's more of a sentimental thing, even though it may not be the most economical fix.

Mike

I think the SEM units are the same a stihl cutoff saws and plentiful

Back