06 Ford Ranger

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do they make these for our trucks? I've been planning on 1000# helper springs soon but I like the sounds of these hijackers...but even Gabriel's own product search on their site doesn't show a listing for them for our trucks?

Consider air bags or air shocks rather than springs. Just a thought.
http://www.truckpartsproshop.com/gabriel_hi_jackers_air_shocks.html

I've threatened to buy a pair of these on numerous occasions and might do it next year. My '97 only has 37,000 miles on it.

G'day, perhaps i can help, i have the previous model 02' 4x4 with the 2.5l turbo diesel and 5 speed. I'm looking to upgrade aswell. I've had her 5 years now and she's been the best truck/vehicle I've owned period.Nothing ever goes wrong.She's done just over 200,000k's now, origional everything except tyres.Must admit the shocks could do with replacing, ;)
PC080614.jpg

My mate has the 06 4l auto, its a bloody ripper, goes like a sedan, just as reliable too, well so far anyway, mine has 100,000ks more than his.
Sounds like your dealer wants to sell you something dearer perhaps.
Mazda trucks have a very solid reputation in Australia as a reliable work horse.

Good luck with your decisions and don't forget the 3.0l turbo diesel its pretty impressive and has more torque than the 4.0l petrol engine.

Rob.

welcome and great truck I wish we could get them here.

Air Shocks

Do they make these for our trucks? I've been planning on 1000# helper springs soon but I like the sounds of these hijackers...but even Gabriel's own product search on their site doesn't show a listing for them for our trucks?
Not sure, Slick. I assumed they did. I thought Ranger was listed at that URL site that I posted.

Rule of thumb used to be that if a vehicle had any shocks at all, you could replace them with air shocks. I recall that I even replaced my Dad's old '69 Lincoln Mark III shocks with Gabriel HiJackers. He used to carry a lot of heavy books in the trunk.

Here you go. JC Whitney has them:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Browse/showCustom-0/tf-Browse/makeName-Ford/makeId-29/modelName-Ranger/modelId-658/year-1997/s-10101/N-111+10101+4294966840+200728676+1997/c-10101

Good thread for me.
I picked up this 96 a few weeks ago. Has the 4.0 with the auto trans. 154,000 miles.

Looks good and runs good. I found out I can't fill the tank or it will leak out somewhere on the spout. A/C needs a charge too.

For $2900, I like it.

P1050552.jpg

P1050554.jpg

Kevin

My uncle had one just like it except it was a regular cab. The thing was a peice of :censored: the leaf springs broke completly off it, and he never hauled any thing with it.

My uncle had one just like it except it was a regular cab. The thing was a peice of :censored: the leaf springs broke completly off it, and he never hauled any thing with it.
It's possible to tear any truck to pieces of you try hard enough. Meanwhile, my '97 Ranger has hauled and delivered 370 loads of firewood in 12 years--an average of 31 loads a year. A good deal of that has been off road.

I had two new Ford Rangers, and was not impressed with them. The first a 1999 and the tech bulletin on the 4 liter engine had what was called a "marble noise"..that's right it sounded like a marble rolling around the engine, and Ford called this normal and this was after the first engine was replaced at 17k miles!!!. My 2002 4 liter the transmission started slipping at 50k miles. Both were 4x4's and both of low build quality in my opinion. I took very good care of them and they were not abused, trans fluid changed every 30k and engine every 3k miles. The drives shafts would shudder and shake and were replaced about every 12k miles, I went through 3 drives shafts or so on each truck!! both trucks had automatic transmission, and the automatic 4x4 systems stink too! the switch doesn't always engage on the dash and your left spinning in 2 wheel drive. I wouldn'r recommend one or buy another one, seems of low quality, that's why you can buy one so cheap. My father uses a 2000 Ranger down at the farm and the 4x4 is always always failing on it too!!.. They are just low quality vehilces, I wasn't impressed at all! I hope this helps, good luck!

Weird, JC Whitney is still not showing those hijackers for my 2000 ranger, wonder what's different with the 97'....hmmm.
I did find some leaf spring helpers on there cheaper than the Hellwig ones I was looking at....$51 bucks is a good deal....so the question is leaf spring helpers or air shocks for 50-75 buck range and hauling wood?

Oh and the 4x4 problems mentioned, that's been my one pet peeve with this truck, haven't had nearly the problems others on here have mentioned, I've been happy with my truck since day one. The 4x4 switch annoys me though and it's gotten me in trouble in the woods....flicking it to 4x4 doesn't do it, even putting it in neutral then drive as they say in the manual doesn't work on mine, the light comes on and you hear and feel a "thud or clank" so it makes you think your in 4x4 but your not until you drive for 20 or so feet, I can now hear the sound as the rpm changes and know I'm in...but it sucks to not be able to put it in four wheel and get four wheel right away, I have to plan ahead ....

Oak+Ranger=LOWRIDER

my 96 is still goin strong and just turned 200k

its has its fixes and issues but over all good truck. i am the third owner and i think ive been the hardest on it. i definately need to get some ruggeder springs. i actually hung myself up on the receiver hitch today. (oops) but i got the oak home!

LETus see some pics of that, Who sang that song LOW RIDER:clap::clap::clap:

Beefie

mercer and woodbooga

their is a switch built into the door latch on those rangers that will stick on. easy to replace as you have the mechanical ability to remove the door panel. my former boss had a explorer and the dome light would stay on and sometimes would come on by itself. the parts were available aftermarket thru my local motorcraft parts dealer(not ford dealer)

I've got a 99 4.0 auto.It's been a good truck 170,000 miles no major break downs.When I bought the truck I was thinking it would be better on fuel then a full size.Well I did'nt do my homework I get around 16 to 18 on a good day.I'll be in the market for a new truck this fall and will be going full size again.I figure if the mpg is close to the same I mise well have the extra truck.

I've got a 99 4.0 auto.It's been a good truck 170,000 miles no major break downs.When I bought the truck I was thinking it would be better on fuel then a full size.Well I did'nt do my homework I get around 16 to 18 on a good day.I'll be in the market for a new truck this fall and will be going full size again.I figure if the mpg is close to the same I mise well have the extra truck.
Ya, I was thinking the same thing so today I bought a 99 ram 1500 quad cab 360. I guess it was a option in those years the 4 doors that is. 100,000km and new 265/75 Michelin's on it super clean truck I will post some picks when it's in the woods not in my driveway lol.
I already have a 3/4 ton so this will be my light duty truck and daily driver.
P.S Now time to fab a winch mount as I have a spare Warn winch in the shop.

Last edited:
I have a 97 Chevy S-10 4x2 4cyl. Auto. and it is great for banging around and running for parts and materials. I have the big rig for firewood and plowing, but other than that it stays home because of the 11mpg factor.

A smaller truck doesn't equate to it not being useful! :cheers:

Door Ajar And Dome Light Staying On

their is a switch built into the door latch on those rangers that will stick on. easy to replace as you have the mechanical ability to remove the door panel. my former boss had a explorer and the dome light would stay on and sometimes would come on by itself. the parts were available aftermarket thru my local motorcraft parts dealer(not ford dealer)

The switch on these doors usually don't go bad. They just get stuck. You can get some WD-40 or some other light spray lubricant and spray in there. You might have to spray it several times while opening and closing the door. It could do the same thing after several months so you might have to repeat the procedure again.

Both were 4x4's and both of low build quality in my opinion. I took very good care of them and they were not abused, trans fluid changed every 30k and engine every 3k miles

Well there you go, you got everything all loosened up by taking it apart and putting it back together too much ;)

I'm not proud of how I maintained this poor Ranger, but I have to admit it's pretty amazing how that core stuff has held up despite making a mockery of the schedules in the book. I know at least once the oil went for 30,000 miles (man, that was nasty stuff I drained). Decent oil though, usually used Valvoline Durablend, but this last time Valvoline all-synthetic was on sale for the price of the Durablend. And usually Wix filters. I may not have ridden it hard, but it sure got put away wet a lot.

Last edited:
The switch on these doors usually don't go bad. They just get stuck. You can get some WD-40 or some other light spray lubricant and spray in there. You might have to spray it several times while opening and closing the door. It could do the same thing after several months so you might have to repeat the procedure again.
Just sprayed mine with WD-40, but before I did, I and wiped it clean all the way around the switch with a cleaning rag I had in the garage. Guess what? It now works perfectly. Good Bye "Door Ajar" light.

Thanks, Dan! :cheers:

Just sprayed mine with WD-40, but before I did, I and wiped it clean all the way around the switch with a cleaning rag I had in the garage. Guess what? It now works perfectly. Good Bye "Door Ajar" light.

Thanks, Dan! :cheers:

I'm gonna let my door ajar light stay on. As well as any other quirks that don't hinder the actual operation of the vehicle. The little quirks make it special. Like an inner thigh birthmark on a beautiful woman, the unique scent of fresh-split green oak, or the bite of a good bourbon on coke.

Vive la difference! :cheers:

I got 2

I have a 2000 4.0 auto just got it this winter and couldnt wait to overload it with wood squated a bit but I plan on puttiing airbags in soon mpg isnt what I expected but I do love it

I got 1992 4X 4L 5 spd xlt and she hauled 3-4 cords a year I put air shocks in it and she would haul over rated capacity took back roads home this truck in my opinion was a better truck it got 18-20 mpg no matter what i did this truck is the reason i got the second one.

I joined this forum a while ago very helpfull just like you guys
http://www.therangerstation.com/index.php

Tail Gate Stiffner

I made my own tailgate stiffner that you guys might want to try. I made it using part of an old bed frame angle iron that I cut to length with a hacksaw and filed off the rough edges. Then I screwed it to the edge with big #12 sheet metal screws, about an inch long or so, in pre-drilled holes.

BEFORE (see the bend from heavy logs):
TailGateBefore1.jpg

AFTER (Now strong as an ape):
TailGateAfter1.jpg

Another view:
TailGateAfter2.jpg

Two coats of flat black paint finished the job. I also found a thin strip of hardwood (about 1/4" thick and half the length of the angle iron) to tuck underneath the angle iron and the bed liner to serve as a spacer. That worked. What a difference!

Latest posts

Back