064 bogging in cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenmachine

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I was happily sawing away when the 064 started bogging in the deep cuts. No power basically. Even shut off once. I played with the h and l knobs a bit but no luck.

Thoughts?

image.jpeg yep heavy scoring. guess im learning hard way. i had cleaned up the cylinder with acid and scotch brite and installed a new piston and rings. i guess i need a new p &c eh?

Pressure test it before you pull the jug off. If that is a oem jug id try very hard to save if before i put a aftermarket jug on or bit the expensive bullet to buy a new oem setup. Did you get all the transfer off it last time?

Pressure test it before you pull the jug off. If that is a oem jug id try very hard to save if before i put a aftermarket jug on or bit the expensive bullet to buy a new oem setup. Did you get all the transfer off it last time?

Well i thought i did. Kept applying acid until it stopped bubbling. I did feel a little vertical ridge above the exhaust but i thought it'd was a trough rather than extrusion.

Ive got a leak at the base. Seems my gssket delete failed. Now i need some advice: should i try cleanin up my jug more? Do i need another piston? Thx guys much obliged

The leak is 1psi: 14sec.

Bump. Just wondering if someone can tell me if that leak is whats causing the bogging org if it's the scoring. Also the question in my last post too. Thanks.

My plan is to use a base gasket, clean up the p and c some more and put it back together.

You’ll know if the transfer is removed by both feel and coloration of the bore. Compare the scored areas to parts of the bore that were not scored. Post pics if needed. Hand sanding helps.

Any leak is bad, yes, and can cause lean conditions and scoring. It’s hard (see: nearly impossible) to diagnose any engine by pics alone.
Base gasket deletes, when done right with proper squish, can bump performance... but personally I think they’re too often recommended to novice builders and cause issues.
Is it an oem or meteor piston?

K. Wash everything before install, too. I’ve taken to cleaning even new OEM parts. Check your rubber parts one more time.

Oil everything nicely, install, tune, cut wood.

Back