066 cylinder scored, piston toast

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would give it a try. Looks pretty good. I had a 036 that had similar "pits" that worked out fine

One of the things I do after acid treatment is wet/dry sand paper with some dish detergent/water. Sometimes oily carbon deposits will stop the acid from taking off the aluminum underneath. Finish up with some fine wet/dry or a scotch brite

That's what I did, use the acid then use fine sand paper with water and dish soap.
Just got my new piston yesterday. Have to clean up the saw itself and check clearance before finial assembly. Forgot have to order some new gaskets for it too.

Iit is alive!

Got it all back together today with the exception of the bar and chain. Mixed up some gas at 40 - 1, about a half a tank. Had to pull the rope a number of times before it fired up (the carb and tank was dry). Shut the choke off and it started and stayed running. I only left it run probably less than a minute.

One thing i saw that concerned me is that it has the factory limiters on the carb adjustment screws. Won't know if it will be a factor in the saw running correctly or not until I can actually cut some wood with it. Hopefully tomorrow I can put my bar and chain on it and try cutting some. Is it possible to remove the limiters and adjust and then put them back on?

I don't have any wood at my house but the neighbors have some in their back yard maybe I can try the saw out on it. :rock:

It's good that you have it running again and looking at the pics of the cylinder I think it will be fine. However something made it burn up in the first place. I would recommend pressure/vac testing the saw before you run it properly or else there is a good chance your work up to now will be wasted.

blsnelling - The limiter tab has to be lined up with the little notch in order to pull them off.

Blsnelling, not sure I follow you on removing the limiter cap. These are just little red caps with a slot for the screw driver, don't see a tab sticking out or anything like that.

I don't have my stuff here to pressure/vacuum test it. The guy I'm fixing it for said he let a buddy use it and thinks he ran the wrong gas /oil ratio in it. If it doesn't run right then I'll get my tester and check to make sure it doesn't have any leaks.

Latest posts

Back