066 dies=new MS660 W/PICS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
was logging last thursday, been cutting all morning, cutting a knot off a 4' cottonwood and my 066 shuts off...won't start, come out of the woods and do some talegate mechanicing and can't get it to run..grab the 046BB and had back into the woods to finish the day.....but..before i went back into the woods i called my ole buddies at my fav. stihl dealer and ordered me up one of these....picked it up on friday, dual port, roller chain catcher, and different dogs. gonna put it into the wood tom.
calebschainsaw001.jpg

calebschainsaw006.jpg

calebschainsaw002.jpg

calebschainsaw003.jpg

calebschainsaw004.jpg

calebschainsaw005.jpg

when i finally got to tear into my 066 on saturday i found that the wrist pin clip had came out the the saw had ate it, p&c are now junk, whenever i rebuilt the saw(bought it as a project) i remember having a bit of trouble with the clip, and im guessing that the problems that i had with it lead to it coming out and the saw being damaged, are there any tricks that you guys have found to removing these clips? ive rebuilt several saws and seem to have a bit of trouble every time with them....have a good one and enjoy the pics:chainsawguy:

Nice...

Removing the clips is easy... probe in the slot, lift up and ping... click... (somewhere on the other side of the room).

Insertion is learned skill.. without the expensive stihl tool (which I don't have). Always use a NEW clip, insert one side in the piston groove (or both tails), then while holding a thumb or finger on top of the clip, move the rest in with a small screw driver that you ground a tiny notch in the end... you'll still bloody a few fingers, loose a few clips, cuss a little/lot, but...

Don't use the curly tail aftermarket clips...

Last edited:
o yes, mine is gettng fixed, im pondering on buy a P&C or shipping it off and having it woods ported(kinda leaning this way) but i am gonna keep it. that way i will have 2 big saws and then my 046BB.

Book says to put the circle clip gap up or down.....so force of piston
moving up and down will not compress the circle clip and it fly out.

The few I have done, thats what I did.......does it matter?

Nice saw........did you remove the oil tank sticker?

ahhhh....don't reuse them, that could have been the problem, sorry about that but for some reason the rest of your post didn't show up the first time that i looked at it, it just said nice....thanks for the imput, ill have to set me up a screwdriver for the job

He edited it. It showed nice for me the first time and I went back and then it had all the information. Evan

Book says to put the circle clip gap up or down.....so force of piston
moving up and down will not compress the circle clip and it fly out.

The few I have done, thats what I did.......does it matter?

Nice saw........did you remove the oil tank sticker?

yea, im not a real bit sticker guy on stuff like this, so i took the one of the front of the saw with the barcode on it, the one of the chainbreak,and the one above the fuel cab, i dunno, just something i do....this is actually the first brand new saw that i have ever bought now that i think of it

sILlogger, Some time could you look at the part number
on the bumpper spike (cover side only is fine) My 660 looks to
have bigger spikes I would like a set of the smaller ones.

Part number should be on the out side of spike.

sILlogger, Some time could you look at the part number
on the bumpper spike (cover side only is fine) My 660 looks to
have bigger spikes I would like a set of the smaller ones.

Part number should be on the out side of spike.

these spikes are different from the ones that the saw came out with stock, i had the dealer swap them out before i took the saw home, ive got these on all my saws(like them more than the stock ones) these are the ones that are on the full wrap version, should be able to get the #'s for you tom.

these spikes are different from the ones that the saw came out with stock, i had the dealer swap them out before i took the saw home, ive got these on all my saws(like them more than the stock ones) these are the ones that are on the full wrap version, should be able to get the #'s for you tom.

Thanks.............mine is 1122 664 0503 B for the right side.

yea, im not a real bit sticker guy on stuff like this, so i took the one of the front of the saw with the barcode on it, the one of the chainbreak,and the one above the fuel cab, i dunno, just something i do....this is actually the first brand new saw that i have ever bought now that i think of it

I took all of the stickers off of my 026 when I bought it new. That barcode one really has to go, does not look like it is meant to stay there long. My brother and law had a half peeled off barcode label on his FarmBoss, drove me nuts, wouldn't let me peel it off.

Oh yea, forgot to say congrats on the brand new King of Saws there, sure is purty.

Last edited:
Nice...

Removing the clips is easy... probe in the slot, lift up and ping... click... (somewhere on the other side of the room).

Insertion is learned skill.. without the expensive stihl tool (which I don't have). Always use a NEW clip, insert one side in the piston groove (or both tails), then while holding a thumb or finger on top of the clip, move the rest in with a small screw driver that you ground a tiny notch in the end... you'll still bloody a few fingers, loose a few clips, cuss a little/lot, but...

Don't use the curly tail aftermarket clips...

Hmmm.... My aftermarket P&C came with the curly tail clips. :confused:

Do the Stihl clips work in the New West Pistons? And with the NW pin?

yes new OEM clips are cheap insurance,

Yes, like I said... a probe (there is groove in the piston boss for that purpose, but don't reuse them..

even if you are using aftermaket pistons!!!!!!

I get a dozen at a time, as Lake said they easily fly across the room when you least expect it and you almost never find them until about a week later if you ever do find them it's an accident,,,,the OEM clips stay in better hands down,,,,,,,,,, err you dont really want it coming out as you have seen what happens ehhh?

Stihl abandoned clips with tails back on the late 80's when the engines started to rev higher than 11k... too many clip failures...

Sure, most work fine, but even 1 in a thousand failing is way too much for a manufacturer. I sure wouldn't be modding a saw for higher rpm with them.

I wonder what clips the zenoh engine I was "tuning" last weekend has... 0 to 19,600 in about 1 second... cool sound though that pipe though...

Back