066 Id

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hautions11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
OK Stihl Guru's. Not a great picture, but this appears to be a Red Light 066. No compression release. I have been fooled on occasion by a round area where the light is supposed to be, but there is not really a lense there. It still has the digital sticker on the air cleaner cover. How about some opinions.....

066RL.jpg

Been thinking about this a bit and this is what I recall.

--Of course the LED will be wired into the ignition, don't recall how. This means that there is a specific (and expensive, $130!) coil for the redlight special.

--Flywheel is different and will be all metal.

--Different crank, smaller flywheel taper, smaller flywheel nut, smaller flywheel-side seal. PTO seal is the same. Don't ask how I know.:)

--As you already know, no decomp.

--Main bearings are the same.

--My muffler was already dual-ported with a factory cover. I don't know if it is original.

--From what I was told, redlight specials were sold as Magnum 066s.

In all, a very tough saw to beat. I do love using mine, though I drained it of gas and put it up for awhile.

Chris B.

Does STIHL sell the Off-white paint that is on their saws?

Cut4fun,, paint that cover and make it pretty !!!!!!

LOLOLOLOLOOOL:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

daemon2525 said:

LOL, I am not into pretty. I want FAST. :hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks for the input guys. I have an 064 but really want a RL 066. This one is for sale and I am considering it. I asked for the SN Lake. If I get an answer I will run it by you.

daemon2525 said:

Yes they do... real nice polyurethane paint.

hautions11 said:
Thanks for the input guys. I have an 064 but really want a RL 066. This one is for sale and I am considering it. I asked for the SN Lake. If I get an answer I will run it by you.

If you do not end up with the 066 you posted let me know. I will be parting with a 066 red this coming week. It will either be traded or sold.

Bill

hautions11 said:
I just looked at that RL on ebay and she really looks rough and the bid is already up there with the shipping. You must really want her bad. no dual port cover either, just a hole or 2 in the front cut in or rusted in. Good luck.

Yea, People ran it up in the last day or so. It looks like it will get to some kind of a silly price. I don't want it that bad!:rock:

Only the last 5 seconds matter in an auction... the snipers get in then. If you don't snipe, it's rare to win a popular saw.

cbfarmall said:
--Flywheel is different and will be all metal.

--As you already know, no decomp.

--From what I was told, redlight specials were sold as Magnum 066s.

These 3 are also features of non red light 066s of the era.

Latest posts

Back