066 Magnum Big Bore Project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
066 BB kit revisited

Well I finally got around to fitting my free replacement 066 BB kit this evening. the main reason it took so long was I took the opportunity to order a bunch of other stuff from Baileys and the order got held up waiting for a back order on a small item so it only arrived 2 weeks ago. I was not fussed as I was more than occupied with a new 880 and 441 and a bunch of milling activities.

So I put on the new BB kit.
- Piston skirt easily clears the replacement base gasket (that was a problem last time)
- 155 psi cold compression
- Full crankcase pressure and vacuum test all passed fine
- Squish - its 0.033" and 0.034 - sound like too much?

I was thinking of try the previous base gasket (that gave me 0.022 and 0.024" squish with the original BB kit). I've already taken a mm of so off the gasket ID using a Dremel so it easily clears the piston. I have a surface plate so alternative is to take 0.015 off the jug base?

Last edited:
I've never seen that much squish on a 066BB. Maybe you got the new revised version. Does your piston freeport at the bottom of the exhaust port at TDC?

I know that you're questioning BobL, but my last kit showed that much squish with .5mm base gasket, and did freeport at TDC. I would prefer a piston with a longer skirt even if I have to massage it to work.

How thick is their gasket. With the OEM gasket I've been seeing <.020" squish. The OEM gasket is about .018" thick.

I don't know. I have both OEM and the Baileys. They looked identical when comparing. I just grabbed the Baileys one because it was right in front of me. As for the squish, I am not using digital calipers, so factor in a little error here, but not much.

My Bailey's BB kit didn't come with a gasket. I ordered their gasket kit seperately, and it had both the 1mm and .5mm gaskets included. The 1mm appears to be rubber coated steel, and the .5mm plain steel.

My Bailey's BB kit didn't come with a gasket. I ordered their gasket kit seperately, and it had both the 1mm and .5mm gaskets included. The 1mm appears to be rubber coated steel, and the .5mm plain steel.

Ya, I ordered a gasket kit separately also. No gasket in the set. My kit however only came with the rubber coated cylinder gasket.

There was no gasket with either my original or replacement BB kit. For the first kit Bailey's were out of gaskets so I used a new stihl 066 gasket. For the replacement kit I used the gasket from a the Bailey's gasket kit which has a significantly larger ID than a standard gasket.

8 am this morning I fired it up for about a minute - can't run it any longer here - inner city neighborhood and all that. I was just keen to see if the high end vibe I noticed before with the previous BB on this saw was still there - it wasn't so it was wasn't a bent con rod, and was almost certainly the bottom of the skirt contacting the gasket at high revs. I'll run it for a bit when I go to the yard next week, and then bring the squish down a bit.

Thanks for all your comments and help.

Back