066 muff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paccity

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
when you mod your muff's, do you cut the baffle out? or drill the holes out larger.

thank's , i'm far enough along in my skills to know doing it off the saw. :) just wondering about taking it out would open itup to much for stock porting. learn before you do .

thank's , i'm far enough along in my skills to know doing it off the saw. :) just wondering about taking it out would open itup to much for stock porting. learn before you do .

will be OK the early models never had them and the outlets were bigger too,you can even run a dual port cover providing you retune :cheers:

IMO, and it's not worth much!

The baffle is in there for a reason and I don't think it is to keep the noise down.
As 064 and 066 had the baffle before OSHA came along. Some models have
baffles some don't. 044/440 no baffle, 046/460 has like a 1/2 baffle.
I can't get it in my head that the older saws with baffles are not needed
for some back pressure. Why would Stihl spend the extra money
to put baffles in mufflers and also try to kill HP.

TT

will be OK the early models never had them and the outlets were bigger too,you can even run a dual port cover providing you retune :cheers:

I have never seen 064 or 066 muffler with out baffle.
I have early 064 and 066 red light both have the baffles in mufflers.

Not saying that Stihl never made 066 without baffle, just I have never seen one myself.

TT

Last edited:
I've tried it both ways -- removing the baffle entirely, and merely ventilating the baffle -- and couldn't tell a difference in performance on an 066.

In the future I'll merely ventilate the baffle, since removing it entirely is a lot of work.

guys mentioned in posts of yesteryear that some mufflers, when baffle boxes were removed, the muffler would crack due to the vibrations of that saw.....i left mine intact, and drilled 2 big holes, one above the other.............and removing it, did look like a lot of work. guff

Latest posts

Back