066 operating tips request from the pro's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG JAKE

Let’s go Brandon!
Reaction score
I just got an 066 for milling purposes mainly but will also cut down a few big trees with it and big logs for firewood, and just for fun. Lot's of power I know. Any wisdom I can glean from you folks in advance from a safety standpoint? Also, any maintenance tips or cooldown techniques, quirks, etc, that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

An 066 is not the saw to be learning with, falling and bucking big trees isn't the place to learn safety. Big Jake, I am not saying this to be a knob, but how about falling and bucking some small trees with your little saw first? There is a lot of help here in search, look around.

Safety - like any other saw, except be careful with pushback - it's a big saw with lots of grunt, and in and instant it will haul you over/under a log or push you to the ground!

For milling, turn the oiler up full, run it 40:1 , let it idle for a few minutes to cool down before shutting off, and never ever let it run out of gas while at full power... make sure your WOT is set conservatively... say 12,500 or less.

Good stuff Lakeside, I dunno about this throw ya on the ground, pull ya over a log though. Never happened to me, using 2100s, 394s, 066s, and my fav. 288s. What is likely is a kickback in the face if you are not using it right. Here is only one of the things you need to know, the top part of the tip is the death zone, touch that and the rakers push the saw directly up and back, you cannot stop it. Never, ever stand behind any saw, if you are looking down on the chain, and it kicks you will be looking at that chain for a milli second before it is in your face. I have had big saws kick because I wasn't paying attention or being lazy, tired. So very glad I wasn"t there in the way. People put themselves in bad positions all the time, on this site I see questions about safety chain, people that never buck lefthanded to put themselves out of danger, and other silly things, you can run a huge saw with the rakers busted right off and an 18" bar and never get hurt by kickback if you work safe.

Go to the Husqvarna website and look for a "guide how to work with a chainsaw" its very good and covers all the basics from PPE safe starting cross cutting felling etc. Also ntpc.org.uk and check out the UK chainsaw assessment schedule if you can do all that you'd be well on your way to usie the saw safely.

clearance said:
An 066 is not the saw to be learning with, falling and bucking big trees isn't the place to learn safety. Big Jake, I am not saying this to be a knob, but how about falling and bucking some small trees with your little saw first? There is a lot of help here in search, look around.

How about not not jumping to conclusions. Been cutting since I was a kid. Bucking, felling, peeling logs, thinning, etc. Built my own 2 story cabin out of logs I cut myself with the base logs at 20-22 inches by 30 feet. That cabin took 66 logs.
So I'm not new to this.

Thanks Andy that's more of what I was looking for.

clearance said:
Good stuff Lakeside, I dunno about this throw ya on the ground, pull ya over a log though. Never happened to me, using 2100s, 394s, 066s, and my fav. 288s. What is likely is a kickback in the face if you are not using it right. Here is only one of the things you need to know, the top part of the tip is the death zone, touch that and the rakers push the saw directly up and back, you cannot stop it. Never, ever stand behind any saw, if you are looking down on the chain, and it kicks you will be looking at that chain for a milli second before it is in your face. I have had big saws kick because I wasn't paying attention or being lazy, tired. So very glad I wasn"t there in the way. People put themselves in bad positions all the time, on this site I see questions about safety chain, people that never buck lefthanded to put themselves out of danger, and other silly things, you can run a huge saw with the rakers busted right off and an 18" bar and never get hurt by kickback if you work safe.

Thanks Clearance. I originally posted this in logging section. Administrator thought it best to move it to chainsaw. I was targeting the guys that use the big saws for a living. Did anyone give you pointers on what not to do with the big saws, what the bad positions are, or did you learn from experience?

Jake, some people helped me, some things I learned the hard way. The kickback knowledge is this, years ago I was bucking and had a big Stihl kick and fly out of my hands and over my shoulder. I wasn't ready for it and there is no way I could have stopped it, very, very lucky. I don't think people understand what happens and how fast kickback is. Mathematician I am not but it would go like this 91cc=6hp x chain speed of 50mph, stopped instantly = ? lbs. of force transmitted back.

SAW Tech

Like Clearance said turn oiler and let it cool down after WOT. Alson keep chips and dust cleaned out of cooling fins. There bad to stop up laying on its side. Other wise be careful and have fun. Got two friends also techs that have been cut with BIG saws kicking back One got in the face, the other has a $40 grand eye ball. Been turning wrenches for 21 years. Seen them all From WIZ to 090's wih some David Bradlys in there too. :

clearance said:
Jake, some people helped me, some things I learned the hard way. The kickback knowledge is this, years ago I was bucking and had a big Stihl kick and fly out of my hands and over my shoulder. I wasn't ready for it and there is no way I could have stopped it, very, very lucky. I don't think people understand what happens and how fast kickback is. Mathematician I am not but it would go like this 91cc=6hp x chain speed of 50mph, stopped instantly = ? lbs. of force transmitted back.

So after that close call what did you change in your technique to avoid a recurrance of that nightmare? Were you wearing one of the husky or stihl hard hats with with the face shield then? What PPE do you wear now?
Thanks and also CC and Jeff

Jake, then as now I was wearing a hardhat,muffs, screen combo, saw pants caulks. I just happened to be standing to one side of the saw, now I always stand to one side of the saw. cc2222, I never said anything about the oiler, that was Lakeside. What happened to cc2222 s buddies would have also happened to me. Never stand behind it and always know where the tip is. Years after this I was spacing and cut my left arm really bad, thing I learned, even if is piecework, don't leave your finger on the trigger unless you are cutting.

clearance said:
Jake, then as now I was wearing a hardhat,muffs, screen combo, saw pants caulks. I just happened to be standing to one side of the saw, now I always stand to one side of the saw. cc2222, I never said anything about the oiler, that was Lakeside. What happened to cc2222 s buddies would have also happened to me. Never stand behind it and always know where the tip is. Years after this I was spacing and cut my left arm really bad, thing I learned, even if is piecework, don't leave your finger on the trigger unless you are cutting.

I was watching that video posted on thread next to this one and realized I was doing most if not all these things they recommended without thinking about it. I don't recall them saying anything about standing off to the side. Got to question the sanity of staging kickbacks for the sake of making a video. But that guy was poking around nipping limbs with the top side of the bar near or on the tip. I don't like doing that-asking for trouble. I'll probably pull the trigger on that helmet. You do any plunge cuts with saws in the 6-8 hp class?

big saws

big saws are safer than small ones don't kid your self,the longer the bar the less kick back force say what you want but if he uses his head he'll be alright. as for cool down times etc talk to the stihl rep. i've run husky's for over 16 years but i gotta give credit to stihl for customer support you can't beat em.(no i'm not going to change)

Wradman, as far as kickback goes, a saw with a long bar is safer than a saw with a short bar, no doubt. As far as bigger saws being safer, I think this is difficult to prove for a few reasons. Big saws are mostly used by pros, not to many homeowner/weekend warrior types running 394s. The weekend warrior types do not have the experience but pros run saws for more hours in one week than others do all year. Also you can put little bars on big saws, I put a 18" on my 2101 but not good for a w/w. Also w/warriors using big saws will get tired quickly, possibly leading to accidents. Takes more upper body strength to use a 066 all day instead of an 026, do it every day and its no problem.

big saws

well your right about tired operators are more likely to get hurt, but it's not the gun that kills you i'm sure you have figured out by now. i've had 3 good cuts in my career and everytime the saw wasn't running and i got stitches, i've worn out quite a few saws , one thing i noticed if a guy starts out cutting his boots and pants it seems he always will , if a guy has bad habits yyou gotta nail them in the but right away and straighten out the bad habits.

clearance said:
Wradman, as far as kickback goes, a saw with a long bar is safer than a saw with a short bar, no doubt. As far as bigger saws being safer, I think this is difficult to prove for a few reasons. Big saws are mostly used by pros, not to many homeowner/weekend warrior types running 394s. The weekend warrior types do not have the experience but pros run saws for more hours in one week than others do all year. Also you can put little bars on big saws, I put a 18" on my 2101 but not good for a w/w. Also w/warriors using big saws will get tired quickly, possibly leading to accidents. Takes more upper body strength to use a 066 all day instead of an 026, do it every day and its no problem.

That's why I asked the pro's. Got lot's of replies as you can see. I'm trying to get useful info here(why most of us come to this site). Hopefully, that knowledge will prevent me from making a mistake that could jeopardize my safety.

Last edited:
saws

no problem jake if you have anymore questions you can email me at [email protected] Sometimes it's hard to get the context out of print i don't think we was bashing you maybee it was more concern, sometimes when we give advice we don't know what your abilities are , before i gave you advice i looked at your personal info , by your age and hobbies i figured you were inteligent and fit to handle an 066 good luck with you venture be safe and never be afraid to ask for advise.

Jake, take it easy, I was talking to Wradman, I am nothing special, just a climber, spacer, tree guy that has cut down a few trees. You built a log house with a chainsaw yourself, that is not really weekend warrior stuff.

Guess we all jump to conclusions sometimes or word things a little strong like I just did. There's a saying-The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked. Lot of wisdom out there to be had with a little listening. You guys took the time to give me some of yours-thanks.

Latest posts

Back