066 or 084

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

logbob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm a newb to the forum.

Here's my question.
I currently have a Jonsered 2071 with 36" bar hooked to my granberg mill and a 357 on my homemade minimill, I am primarily milling softwood.
Occasionally I need to cut some wider slabs so I would need a 42", and that's too big a bar for the 2071 - even the 36 is pushing the limits, so I decided to get a bigger saw and bar.
Now my local dealer has a 066 in good conditions and I have found a 084 as well on the classifieds, not as good condition though, dead oil pump, and price about the same as the 066.
Now I know the 084 is more powerful and would be better saw for the 42" and may even fit a 48" or larger but I wonder if there really is all that difference between the two saws at pulling a 42", because for some reason a 48" bar seems to cost twice as much as a 42" and I don't really need that big. Infact I could not find a 48" for the 084 on ebay while there are several 42" for the 066 for about $100....
Also I would prefer a 3/8 instead of a .404 because of the wider kerf wasting more lumber...
I also wonder if the 066 is a noticeable improvement over the 2071 in speed of cut with either a 36" or a 42", if I should just gor for the 084 or......... if I better spare some money and just get a 42" for the 2071 for when I need it.... :confused:

i have been using an 066 w/ 3/8 42" bar, 7pin sprocket & 36" mill for years. it is adequate in hardwoods and will fly through soft
keep the chain sharp and you wil be just fine

never used an 084
and doubt if i could:dizzy:

hi there, i run a 084 and love it i have thousands of board feet clocked on the old girl and has worked very well for me.I am also a big fan of the 066/660..it's a tough call but in big hardwood a lil extra power never hurts

You could run 3/8 on either saw. Aggiewoodbutcher runs 3/8 on really long bars on his 084.
36"/42" bar means 30"/36" max cuts on a standard mill.
The difference between the cutting speeds at those diameters will be marginal as they will still be are mainly chain speed limited.
To get the most out of the 084 you would need to run slightly deeper rakers.

I went to the local dealer to see the 066, and it turns out what I was told to be a 066 in good condition is instead an MS660 which is really in mint condition, I would say it really looks like new. It sells at $700 including a 36" stihl bar and chain both as new as the saw, or 650 without.
The 084 with the dead pump sells for $600 without a bar and chain.
I also found a 084 with a broken piston selling for 500 including the new piston and no bar and chain...
Perhaps I should just grab the 660 instead of getting one of the two 084 and start spending money on parts...

Also the 084 parts being phased out is something to consider...

I went to the local dealer to see the 066, and it turns out what I was told to be a 066 in good condition is instead an MS660 which is really in mint condition, I would say it really looks like new. It sells at $700 including a 36" stihl bar and chain both as new as the saw, or 650 without.
The 084 with the dead pump sells for $600 without a bar and chain

Um, EXACTLY where is that? How late is he open? :)
Jump on it.

Latest posts

Back