066 vs. 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
I am in looking at working a trade with another AS member for either an 066 or an 064. The search still seems to be AWOL courtesy of our friendly neighborhood hackerbastards.
So I need a bigger saw a handful of times a year when doing bigger removals. My MS440 will pull the 32" chain, but it shoots me sidelong resentful glances and treats me like a vengeful ex for a few hours afterward.
I am sure either saw is a good worker and the trade will be fair. Just wondering if the marginal extra power of the 066 is enough to offset the lighter weight and included 28"b/c of the 064.
Any constructive thoughts certainly welcome, and if there is a nice workaround for the search function, I would certainly like to make that part of my arsenal as well.
Thanks
Dave

64 Cylinders out of the box come out with better numbers than the 66.

Some did. The red light cylinders and some of the non decomp cylinders have pretty much the same port timing. The 64 does seem to be a little snappier compared to the 66.

I've got both... and I ported the 064 that I have... It truly feels a lot lighter than the 066, in fact, only slightly heavier than my 044.
The only problem that you MIGHT have with the 064 is finding ignition parts. If yours is one with the "Dog Leg" coil, those are NLA, so you are stuck scavenging Chainsawr or eBay for parts. There are still plenty out there, but that supply will eventually run out.

TFB

I've got both... and I ported the 064 that I have... It truly feels a lot lighter than the 066, in fact, only slightly heavier than my 044.
The only problem that you MIGHT have with the 064 is finding ignition parts. If yours is one with the "Dog Leg" coil, those are NLA, so you are stuck scavenging Chainsawr or eBay for parts. There are still plenty out there, but that supply will eventually run out.

TFB

Hey!!! How come you've never brought it by to let me run it!!???

Availability of parts should always be considered when purchasing a saw. One advantage of an 066 is that the 660 which is still being produced (for a little while until the 661 replaces it) is not far removed.

I also believe Stihl manufactured more of the 066 models since the production run was quite long.

That said, if you don't depend on the saw to make your living, then parts availability is less of an issue. Not sure how often the coils go bad but someone always seems to be able to rig some alternative...(if you can't find oem parts)

I've never had an 064 to compare with the 066 and 660 I owned so can't speak to the performance aspect. Myself, if everything else were equal, I would go with the 066. Your results may vary.

I have an 064 running a 32" bar and .404 square chisel chain. It has run really good and I cut some big wood for me. Although mine runs good it couldn't touch Glock37's ported 064! Here's my son running mine in some 28" oak and Glock's Masterminded 064! View attachment 314871View attachment 314872
At the GTG it was a noodle making machine!View attachment 314873

My 1986 vintage 064 was the same.weight as my 460 but had less RPM. It had torque like my 066 but again, less RPM. And it was not a red light. Also opening up the muffler cover added no gains. I think those saws are best with 32" bars as smaller bars seem better suited to the 046/460's higher speed in my little experience with them.

I had an 064 for a short while. It was straight gassed I revived it and put it together stock. Made a few cuts in the wood pile tunning and never lit a fire in me my ported 066 walked all over it. So I sold it to freond who needed a good fire wood saw.

My point heck I dunno. I like the 066's

I am in looking at working a trade with another AS member for either an 066 or an 064.
Any constructive thoughts certainly welcome, and if there is a nice workaround for the search function, I would certainly like to make that part of my arsenal as well.
Thanks
Dave

An older 066 is basically an 064 with a bit more displacement and the same weaker crank that was beefed up in later version 066's.

I'd go with a later version 066 Mag for the purpose you describe and not look back. Period.

Curious on the stroke length on the 066 and 064.

What about crank volumne?

Curious on the stroke length on the 066 and 064.

064 066
STIHL single-cylinder two-stroke
engine
Displacement: 85 cm³ (5.2 cu.in) 91.6 cm³ (5.6 cu.in)
Bore: 52 mm (2.05 in) 54 mm (2.12 in)
Stroke: 40 mm (1.6 in) 40 mm (1.6 in)

What about crank volumne?

Loud? (It's got '11')

Last edited:
I can't say enough good things about my 064. I Would put it up against any 066/660 anytime, it is a very strong woods ported saw. Everyone who has run it says the same thing, it is one of the strongest 064's they have ever run. I have several saws between 80 and 90 cc and this thing is just a machine.

Back