066 wont run right

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl4life

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While using my 066 today, it seemed underpowered. It came with a 36" bar when i bought it, but it just wont cut like it should. It always stalls in the log. Also, while making relief cuts, it wouldnt run right. It would cut fine going one way, but sputter and stall the other. Any help would be great.

Stihl4life said:
While using my 066 today, it seemed underpowered. It came with a 36" bar when i bought it, but it just wont cut like it should. It always stalls in the log. Also, while making relief cuts, it wouldnt run right. It would cut fine going one way, but sputter and stall the other. Any help would be great.

Is this a brand new 660?? or a older 066??

Stihl4life said:

Do the basics first.
1.Chain, sharp or dull?, cutting straight or sideways?
2.Bar, straight or bent?
3.Using fresh fuel mix or old mix out of a stored can?
4.Fuel filter clean or dirty, should look completely white?
5.Air filter, clean or dirty?
6.Carb adjusted right?, if not will not run right.
7.Fuel hose, check for cracks or wet gas.
8.Check condition of the plug, wire as well.
8.Check Rpm levels if you can.

Do the above first, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes.
If everything is ok go farther. Somewhere the problem will
appear if you take it step by step. Does not sound like
internal damage but do the above first before digging deeper
into the saw. Could be something as simple as a tank vent.
Do the steps and you'll find the problem.......

Thall, to answer your first question, the saw is the newer 066. Its an MS660 with an 066 badg is waht Lakeside told me.

Stihl4life said:
Thall, to answer your first question, the saw is the newer 066. Its an MS660 with an 066 badg is waht Lakeside told me.

Ok, thats cool. Go step by step, no need to fear, you will find the cause if you work your way to it. Samething we at the shop do so getcha self in the mood to inspect your saw, you can and will find the cause with alittle patience and a keen eye, go getter done. Holler back if it still stumps ya. I'm going to bed but I'll be back tomorrow to see what you have found and will help you any way I can to get that moma running for ya..............

Do everything you can, and if it won't work work for you, I'm only 40 minutes north... drag it on up if all else fails.

Latest posts

Back