Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madsaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When did Stihl Introduce these saws? Mike's says 1999, but a freind said he thought they came out before that.
Thanks
Bob

1999 sounds right. the saw before the 066 was the 064, which was introduced in the early 90s, and replaced the 056 series.

I think you will fine it depends on where you live, the first 066 I seen here was in the late of 1990 but was taken back because it didnot work well in the snow, they changed the covers on the saws, I bought 3-066's in the summer of 1991, they had the same covers as the 064 on them , you could not keep coils in them , maybe you would get 3 or 4 days before they went south so I put 064 coils in them and rotated the flywheel so they were timed correct, happy days after that

I have a 1993 Stihl catalog which lists both the 064 and 066, but no picture of the 066 is shown - possibly due to issues of redesign vs. existing stock. I do remember early ones looking more like 064s.

Well before 1999. 1999 is probably the date of the most recent design change. That sounds about right.

Well the saw is in my garage now. Very low use 066 magnum. The tank got cracked and was changed. So the orange parts due not match good. But, other then that great running machine. The muffler still has some of the new look to it too. Also the warning decal looks new on the chain brake handle. Was the clear tank on 660 or was it also offered on the 066 Ms. I am going to take the muffler off to see the conditon of the cylinder and piston. 2 to 3 pulls and its going. Compression release and elasto handle too. But, the bad part is the guy needed the money and dropped the price. Sure did not have the extra money to be buying a saw like that right now. But 200 is not hard to scare up.
Later All
Bob

Justin Garrison said:
046s were made in 96 I believe, and 066s are older than that early 90s.

Correct you are Justin. The 046 product announcement which came out 95/96 states that the 046 fills the gap between the 044 and 066 (in so many words) indicating the 066 was out some time before that.

Madsaw- you're saying you bought a decent 066 for $200? Well done.

Take care all,
Jeff

Here are the dates from Keystone Stihl Inc.
044 1988
046 1995
064 1986
066 1991
Later
Dan

Like Bob, I found a good deal last week on an 066 that was just nicely broken in.
All I did was open the muffler and set the carb. Anyway this one wants to rev at 15,800, even with the semi fixed jets, so it must be one of those ringers that you get every once in awhile. For 500 CDN, it wasn't too hard to find the money.
John
066.jpg

Gypo.

I have missed the clips you used to post, Did you not pass the heart tests?
There must have been some troubble testing such a big heart..
Yes this is as good of kiss(ing) I can come up with right now.

:blob2: :p

Go Pa Go

Here's a vid I took yesterday of the saw I have pictured above. It is stock except for the larger port in the muffler.
John

Latest posts

Back