• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell 075

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I posted this initially in a thread in which I was trying to buy an 084 (bought). So now I want to sell my 075. Please read the information below. I would LIKE to get $400 plus shipping for it but am looking for an opinion from the community given the novel I've written below.

Ok, here's what's going on with the 075:

I bought the saw for $247.60 on eBay a year ago. I thought it was a deal. It was listed as used with good compression. I immediately milled some wood with it. That was last summer. But the saw seemed to be running hot and was dieseling. I couldn't get it to idle properly. Here it is making the first cut (walnut) I made with the saw:

I took it into the local Stihl repair shop where I sort of know the mechanic. He was a school shop teacher and then was trained as an aircraft mechanic, so overall I fell he's pretty decent. He pretty quickly ascertained that the crank seals were probably leaking, causing it to run lean and therefore hot. So he replaced those. He also noted that the oiler gear was worn out, so we replaced that as well. I bought an aftermarket part for that but it wouldn't quite fit. I think he ended up ordering an OEM part for it (at least, that's what I recall seeing on the bill and it was about 80 bucks, which fits with what I would expect it to cost).

So, tuning, seals, new oil worm gear etc. probably ran me about $150-$250. The saw ended up living there for several months, but I wasn't in a huge hurry. I got the saw out of the shop right around new year's day. It started right up and ran great, and that's when I milled more of the walnut that you will see in the pictures below. (Note - I still couldn't get it to idle correctly, but that may be my own lack of experience - not sure).

I milled some hickory with it in February, and cut down this oak tree (http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/biggest-tree-ive-ever-cut-down.253350/) with it about 6 weeks ago. However, I couldn't keep the saw idling properly again. I was also getting sick (I figured that out later - just read the thread if you want to know more) and, to make a long story short, I probably shouldn't have been cutting that tree with that saw when I was in that condition. However, the tree went right where I was trying to put it and nobody got hurt, so I am counting it as a win.

But, it led me to decide that I needed to either make the saw REALLY run properly or get a different saw, because as much as I love this hobby, it's not worth dying for. So, I sat down a month ago to look through the saw. At that point, I really decided that the person who sold it to me /should/ have listed it as a parts saw. Even though it runs, has good compression, etc., it's just had a bunch of Mickey Mouse stuff done to it in it's life. It is not really terribly close to original.

I am telling you all of this because even though I want to sell it and buy an 084, I don't want to sell you a pig in a poke. I enjoy this community and I value my reputation here. I want you to have all the information before purchasing, including that I am probably not qualified to give you a really strong opinion about the shape that the saw is in. I am working toward that, but am not there yet.

Lastly, I also recently bought a full wrap handle including the hard to find connector piece that allows you to actually attach it to the saw. I can post a picture of that if you are interested. I paid $40 plus shipping for it and would add it to the deal for that same price or you can make an offer for the whole package.

I don't really know if I'll get the $400-$500 I have in it back out of it, but I am willing to take some loss in exchange for the experience and investment that I needed to make to be sure I wanted to keep milling (I do). So I want you to know everything I can tell you and have taken a bunch of pictures and would consider serious, fair offers. I would also love any advice the community at large is willing to issue about what the saw is likely worth.

There, now that I've written my novel, you are free to decide what you want to do. This is by no means a pristine saw. However, it does run, cut wood, etc. You can see/hear it operating in the video I posted. It has had some of the work done to it that it needs, but someone better than I am at this should really go through the whole thing were they to keep it or part it out to keep some other saws running else.

Pictures below. I am happy to answer questions.
Attached Files:

So I see a lot of people looking but no one saying anything. Am I asking too much? That's what the huge post was for. Someone let me know! ;)

Not knowing what itl needs I don't think you willl get $400 unless , possibly an auction a couple people get carried away with their bidding.. Be looking at another 100ish for a bar and chain. Someone would may be go 300- 350 looking for something like that IMO.
Not an expert mechanic here, but I manage to find most my problems sooner or later and the biggest jobs I leave for others or part the saw out. I would check the timing on that saw and if possible try a known, good carb after knowing the timing is where it should be. Try doing what you can without putting big $'s in it. Don't overlook the .020 spark plug gap, check the piston through the exhaust port. If you can't correct it easy enough, I would offer it on ebay as a parts saw, buy it now or make offer. If you don't get your price , may be some one will offer you good money on some choice parts and you can make a few parts lots on the remainder and auction them off. My opinion if you are trying to get your money back out of it.

Thanks Brushwacker. I appreciate the advice. I am thinking maybe putting it on eBay and being more honest about it than the person who sold it to me might be the way to go.

Thanks Brushwacker. I appreciate the advice. I am thinking maybe putting it on eBay and being more honest about it than the person who sold it to me might be the way to go.

I think it will sell just fine for you. Regardless of what it brings, I think Ebay will bring your top dollar.

F.Y.I., I picked up a "Garage Queen" 075 recently for $400. Runs great. Came with 42" bar and heavy chassis .404" like new chain. My local Stihl dealer couldn't come up with a new gas cap for it. He said it would be really tough to find new parts, but should be lots of used parts floating around on the internet.

Back