076 help needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ratboy

Reaction score
Picked up a stihl 076 at a clearing sale last weekend, condition unknowen. Took her home, and pulled the cord and it went BANG! I guess this beast is too far advanced (?) As she has a sealed magnito ignition, Im at a loss as to how to adjust the timing. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Is the ignition too advanced for proper running? or are you speaking of the whole saw going boom?

It won't start. When I pull to start, the saw goes boom. and a puff of smoke comes out the exhaust(only done this twice).

Ahh ha! Thanks HiOctane. Took off the flywheel and the key doesnt look like it's got much meat left on it. The valley that the key goes in seems a little rusty which may indicate that the key wasnt seating properly. I guess this is a real likely cause of the problem; the position of the fly wheel is the only way that the timing can altered? Shall pick up a new key tomorrow, and fingers (whats left of 'em) crossed!

Ratboy said:
Ahh ha! Thanks HiOctane. Took off the flywheel and the key doesnt look like it's got much meat left on it. The valley that the key goes in seems a little rusty which may indicate that the key wasnt seating properly. I guess this is a real likely cause of the problem; the position of the fly wheel is the only way that the timing can altered? Shall pick up a new key tomorrow, and fingers (whats left of 'em) crossed!
Check if the keyway itself in the flywheel is not damaged also.

Thanks HiOktane, replaced the key, keyway was fine, put her back together and she purs like a kitten. Much apreciated.

Latest posts

Back