084 oil weirdness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellowbeard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all. I have an 084 that seems to be blowing bar oil out onto the back/bottom of the muffler. My understanding is that some Stihls have a plug in this location that can come out and allow this to happen. Is this the case with the 084? If not, anyone have any ideas about what might be going on?

Thanks!

Still got the heat sheild ? Ive had a couple leak up through the crankcases straight onto the muffler , pretty sure the gasket must get burnt and start to leak

My 076 used to fill up the cylinder with oil, sometimes so much you couldn't turn it over.

The subject was mentioned on the AusDrivel Thread last month or two, apparently the oil is getting out of the oil pump and into
the cylinder, I'm not a mech. so have no details of what was happening. saw still ran well and smoked a bit on start up as it burned out
the oil.

I'd always store it empty if not using it for more than 3 or 4 days (or so ).

This may not be like yr situation but thought I'd mention it.

Edit......found this...... http://www.arboristsite.com/communi...-dribble-thread.175005/page-1502#post-5394171

Sounds like you have a blown crankcase gasket. As already mentioned, there is no plug on your saw. Also, your saw is built nothing like a 075, where the oil pump can leak into the crankcase.

Thanks for the info. How hard is this to fix?

Yeah - I saw the seam. Is this something I should let my mechanic do? Any idea what the number of hours on something like that is going to be? (I'm going to guess you will have an idea about that given your name.) ;)

You're going to need a case puller/separator, and some long bolts to span the gap to get it pulled back together.

Prices and time can vary between shops. You want to take care of any cleaning before you let a shop check it out or your estimate will be higher. You can even shave more labor time off if you bring them a bare case to split and reassemble. They probably won't vac test it without the piston and cylinder.
A bare case will likely be an hour labor charge. A complete dirty saw can take anywhere from around three or more hours.

Figure a whole day's work at least to split the case and then fix the saw. I suggest that you try to solve the problem without doing this. Splitting the case is a last resort.

It is possible that the engine is not blowing oil out the bottom of the muffler. All you may need to do is replace the exhaust gasket between the muffler and the cylinder. It may not even be there. Make sure that it is because it seals the connection.

This is a common problem on 084s, because there's a long run on the case underneath the muffler where the case gasket is real thin. Stihl came out with an updated heat shield with adhesive backing along about 1987 to help correct this but many saws did not get the heat shield. The only real fix is to split the case as others have said and replace the gasket, and beef that area up with some Yamabond or equivalent.

Yeah - I saw the seam. Is this something I should let my mechanic do? Any idea what the number of hours on something like that is going to be? (I'm going to guess you will have an idea about that given your name.) ;)
or strip it as much as you can. just get the mechanic to split and fit gasket. might as well throw new bearings and seals in at the same time.
every 084 i play with gets a fresh foil for under muffler and handle.

or strip it as much as you can. just get the mechanic to split and fit gasket. might as well throw new bearings and seals in at the same time.
every 084 i play with gets a fresh foil for under muffler and handle.
Have you got a part number for that foil ?

084 foil number is 1124 084 8303. but I show it as nla. the prior number...1124 084 8301, cross references back to the 024/026 and is also nla. at least in my neck of the woods. mileage may vary.

Are you sure big t double? 1124 084 8301 reflector foil from 024, 026 should be availible until 2020.
yes. from the distributor we use it is nla. hence the "your mileage may vary" if it is available from other distributors I wouldn't know unless I really needed one, then I could call and see if it could be sourced elsewhere. but in all honesty I wouldn't waste my time doing that...id just make one work from one that is still available.

yes. from the distributor we use it is nla. hence the "your mileage may vary" if it is available from other distributors I wouldn't know unless I really needed one, then I could call and see if it could be sourced elsewhere. but in all honesty I wouldn't waste my time doing that...id just make one work from one that is still available.
Looking for the Stihl part number for a large one, actually the largest one that you know of ................

Looking for the Stihl part number for a large one, actually the largest one that you know of ................
looks like that would be 1128 084 8302...fits the 1128's (obviously) and 1122's. but you might take the 084 part number and check with your dealer. ya never know

the 084 foil would also be included in the gasket kit. 1124 007 1050...also not available to me but you never know...someone else may have one on the shelf.

Latest posts

Back