084 project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon Kline

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got a good builder from Stihlsmoking and spent the weekend cleaning her up then got all the used parts a Stihl dealer had laying around. I’d say it’s been a good start so far
0b70db30922f407a548d0948225f3980.heic
73b35534a45f2d09dddcb298c046ef7a.heic
e43d6e56bf4de0a21bdd49e4f4f7240c.heic
69df0246d29055d113ebe34c9aa4f5d1.heic
8349000f2ce039f703817ea4ad61aaab.heic
d22ada700b0b8de4247658ad74a516af.heic
50c717df20203f8215b44ac573e82930.heic
93b3cd091e0304983816246cf4bad9ae.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, if you have that little black box that bolts on to front of the cylinder, a good ignition, and oil pump, you should be okay, if not, you're either headed down a painfully expensive road or a long one if you'd rather wait it out. I have built a few of these and its very difficult to build an incomplete one and not be way over invested in it. Luckily I've had a parts hoard to pick from when I've built them. Anymore I'd tell people to buy a complete runner for $600-$750 and you'll end up money ahead.

Where in Ohio?
If you need some parts, ask. I've got a collection of 084 parts and before someone asks -no mufflers.
Good luck with the rebuild.
2stroker

Thank you. It’s been fun so far! I need some parts! I’m from north eastern Ohio. I’ll pm ya

Yea, if you have that little black box that bolts on to front of the cylinder, a good ignition, and oil pump, you should be okay, if not, you're either headed down a painfully expensive road or a long one if you'd rather wait it out. I have built a few of these and its very difficult to build an incomplete one and not be way over invested in it. Luckily I've had a parts hoard to pick from when I've built them. Anymore I'd tell people to buy a complete runner for $600-$750 and you'll end up money ahead.

Ya I got my builder for a good deal has good ignition, fly wheel tank handle air filter base carby filter cover and clutch. Don’t have a muffler but that’s the last thing I’ll worry about

Ya I got my builder for a good deal has good ignition, fly wheel tank handle air filter base carby filter cover and clutch. Don’t have a muffler but that’s the last thing I’ll worry about

I've got a few parts leftover if you need something, I may have it, I don't have any mufflers left though.

^^^This. I have a few -- one I bought as a complete runner and another that I bought as a project. I have a LOT of $ sunk into the project. I'll be breaking even when I sell it and it's a very nice saw.

Nice saw op, that should he a great project.

I was offered an 084 by a fellow recently, needed a top but it was running . He made a new muffler with CAD and a waterjet. Muffler looked factory to me. He mentioned he couldn't find a muffler to save his life so that's why he built one.

What's a used but not abused 084 that needs a top end worth these days?

Nice saw op, that should he a great project.

I was offered an 084 by a fellow recently, needed a top but it was running . He made a new muffler with CAD and a waterjet. Muffler looked factory to me. He mentioned he couldn't find a muffler to save his life so that's why he built one.

What's a used but not abused 084 that needs a top end worth these days?

Wonder if he would make me a muffler when I’m ready for one lol

Wonder if he would make me a muffler when I’m ready for one lol

I asked him but I dont think he was interested in making more.

He said something to the effect that with modern technology hes not sure why someone hadent repro'd the mufflers? It's a basic sheetmetal stamping.

Well I sure wish someone does I thought to myself it can’t be that hard for someone to do that has the stuff to do it an the know how lol

Back