Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSurgeon

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not really a powerhead thing. The problem is I have a 28" Stihl bar and chain on it and after about the fourth cut, after sharpening, the bar wants to go to the left (while cutting downward/vertically). Is the bar worn out or is it the chain? I do keep the chain tensioned as well... :blob2: :blob2: :blob2:

I'd say it's the chain. Have the bar dressed on a bar rail grinder at the dealer or saw shop AND have the chain sharpened on a grinder or get a new chain.

sounds like maybe the teeth on one side of your chain is sharper than the other causing the drift, but i could be wrong,

Another possibility is that the cutters on the right are contacting something metallic on the saw.  Are the cutters in fact still just as sharp on both sides of the chain when this starts to happen?

Glen

Thanks All!!! I'll take all of the replies into consideration. The chain in question had actually stretched out beyond it's limits (alot of stump cutting). The next chain will be closely monitored :)

Make sure the oiler is turned all the way up and that the bar groove and oil inlet hole are clear of impacted sawdust as well.
Happy woodticking!
John

Gyppo, your corners look low, Ha, ha,. Really though you have all that wood and you have a pellt stove? :umpkin:

Do a search on here under "cutting crooked" you will come up with a lot more info on why a saw can cut crooked and the cures for the problem.

TheSurgeon said:
Thanks All!!! I'll take all of the replies into consideration. The chain in question had actually stretched out beyond it's limits (alot of stump cutting). The next chain will be closely monitored :)
If you have used this chain and saw for cutting a lot of stumps and stretched it beyond it's limits, check to see if you don't need to replace the sprocket also. Once you stretch the chain out that far it begins to work over the sprocket faster which will tend to stretch out the new chain before it's time.

Latest posts

Back