090 crankshaft help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhead

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I need help regarding repairing my 090 which has a bent rod on it. I have purchased a new crankshaft and rod ....it is an aftermarket one that I got from Germany and is a direct replacement. However, I have been told previously that there were modifications made to the later 090 crankshafts that added weight to them to reduce vibration. The replacement I have does not appear to have these weights ...ands the one in the saw appears to have them. I also have been offered an NOS Stihl crankshaft that looks exactly like the aftermarket one I just bought ......meaning it also has no weights. Since I am also putting in a new NOS 090 cylinder and piston and seals etc. I want to make sure all is right before I put this 090 back together.

Can anyone tell me if I am heading for trouble using a crankshaft without the weights on it? Also does anyone have any experience with these aftermarket parts?

Thx for the great info I get from this forum!

RH

rhead said:
I need help regarding repairing my 090 which has a bent rod on it. I have purchased a new crankshaft and rod ....it is an aftermarket one that I got from Germany and is a direct replacement. RH

Aftermarket 090 parts from Germany ? Tell me more.

Bill

I don't know who these are made by .....maybe a company called Newtop out of China .....they have a website:

http://www.newtopcn.com/products/chainsawparts/chainsawparts.htm

I have tried to communicate with them through this site but have received no response.

I found this crankshaft by hunting and pecking around on Ebay ....I bought it through a guy named Bodo ...here is the auction link itself :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4376034773&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

It was difficult because he does not speak English and also the shipping was slow and expensive .....but all in all ....way less than a new Stihl crank and rod at $350!

The crank is brand new and looks like the one pictured in the Stihl repair manual ...but not like the one in my 090 ....once again ...because it does not appear to have the additional weights on it ....but I have seen others made by Stihl that also did not have the additional weights on them ....so this is why I am trying to find out how important this is.

That's all I have right now .........if we could get a response from Newtop we could have a source for lot's of aftermarket parts for an 090 except for the Cylinder and Piston ....since everything else is supposed to be interchangeable.

RH

Latest posts

Back