090 Decal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all at AS,
Does anyone have a pic of what type of decal goes here.
Is it 090G?
I believe this saw is an earlier version than the 090AV,which has the 2 metal tags.
Cheers in advance,Chris.IMG_20181104_190012.jpgIMG_20181104_190021.jpg

I don't think that's the correct air filter cover, I'm pretty sure the right cover doesn't have an actual name plate, it should have "090" in raised letters, same as the Stihl letters on your engine cover.

The 090G was significantly different than most 090s, being that it was a gear drive and had a much smaller motor.

090g has a 070 cylinder and piston. The very early ones 090 jugs, but I guess there was overheating issues. That’s why they put a smaller engine on it.

I may have access to a few NOS 090 decals. My dealer is making me a list of parts and pieces he's had sitting in boxes for years. He said he might have some 090 070 stuff sitting around. I'll see what he comes up with.

090g has a 070 cylinder and piston. The very early ones 090 jugs, but I guess there was overheating issues. That’s why they put a smaller engine on it.

All 090Gs left the factory with the 58mm/106cc top end from the start of the model after transition from the Contra G/GS; they were never factory outfitted with the 66mm/137cc top end. They didn't revert to the smaller top end due to overheating issues. From a top end, RPM and airflow standpoint the 090G is no different than the direct drive 090, so overheating threats/issues would likely have been the same for both. Just spit-balling here, but if anything, the 090G probably has a lower chance of overheating since it may have a better chance of keeping up RPMs in the cut with the higher torque and lower chain speed. A lot of people tend to believe the early 090Gs came with the 66mm/137cc top end because it was not unusual to swap them out, and I've even heard tell that it was common practice for dealers themselves to do it to new saws prior to sale or at the buyer's request.

I may have access to a few NOS 090 decals. My dealer is making me a list of parts and pieces he's had sitting in boxes for years. He said he might have some 090 070 stuff sitting around. I'll see what he comes up with.

Do you still have any of these? How can i pm you???

Shop has been closed and cleaned out for almost a year now. I saved a j red 111s but don't know what happened to all the stihl stuff. Sorry sir.

Back