1. Husqvarna 346XP not oiling chain/bar.......2. Leaking lube from day 1.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighlanderNorth

Reaction score
Whats up folks?

I just joined and this is my first thread or post. I bought a Husq 346XP back in late 2005. I had just had my truck broken into after stopping at the grand opening of a new Home Depot, and while in there, the intercom called me to the front desk, where a lady informed me that she had just witnessed a guy stealing stuff out of my cab, with glass all over the pavement. So I ran out there, but he was gone. I had intentionally moved my backpack blower, chainsaw to the cab so it couldnt be lifted from there, but this guy simply broke the window and stole everything, including my then-new cell phone, digital camera, tool box with $700 in tools, blower, chainsaw, etc.

So then I went out and bought this 346XP about a week later. The insurance covered exactly zero of my losses, so I paid cash to replace everything. Well, I didnt realize it at first, but it leaks bar & chain oil, because I stored the saw on top of several layers of already oil-stained cardboard in a corner of my basement when not in use, so I didnt realize til much later that it was actually leaking chain lube from day 1. I noticed when I finally decided to replace the cardboard, and when I pulled it up I noticed a big circular oil stain on the concrete where it had sunk in over time.

So I took it to my local dealer to fix the leak, but the warranty was over, so they charged me about $75, but couldnt figure out why it was leaking, and even replaced some part, but it didnt stop the leak at all! So I paid $75 for absolutely nothing. I'm not an arborist per se, so I dont use the saw every day, and some times I only use it once a month, and when it does get used its usually for branches or small trees. So even though its 7 years old, it doesnt have LOTS of hours on it.

Now the hurricane blew through earlier this week, during which time a large tree came down in my front yard, so on Wednesday I went out to start cutting up the tree, and I did the branches first, and didnt notice any problems, but when I started cutting the larger diameter stuff, I noticed the bar and chain were smoking and getting hot, so I shut it down and looked at it closely, and its obvious it isnt getting oil to the chain at all...

Now, I had taken the bar and chain off before I got started to blast everything out with the hose, so I got all the debris from around the clutch, sprocket, bar, etc. So I took it apart again, blasted it off with the hose gain after it cooled, but didnt notice anything clogging the hole where the oil comes out, nor was the hole in the bar or the slot in the bar where the chain travels clogged.

So I guess either there is a clog somewhere deeper within the oil system, or the oil pump gear is worn out, or the oil pump, etc, etc, etc. My first question is: If there is no obvious debris clogging the hole, what is most likely the problem? Is the gear made of metal or plastic? I would assume that since this is a $475 pro-grade saw, it certainly SHOULD NOT be plastic! Is it relatively easy to replace the gear, and/or the oil pump? Do I have to break apart the crank case to get to the gear and the pump?

I just dont want to have to give another $200-$250 to this dealer who didnt fix the earlier leak problem, and if possible I would like to fix it myself. I worked for Lawn Doctor for 7 years from '88-'95, and we used to completely break down, clean and rebuild the 2 cycle engines in the turf tamers we used, so I know how to rebuild a 2 stroke, but I dont have ALL the tools and pullers I'd need to do it, so I'm hoping I dont have to break apart the crankcase. PLus, I'd have to then replace the gaskets too. Also, what would cause the oil leak?

Thanks....
'

Hopefully you will get some more technical advice than I can give you, but I just did a tear down and cleaning of my father's Jonsered 2054 oiler, that had similar issues.

It's not a complicated deal really, and I think the Huskie is close, if not the same as the Jonnie Red. On the bottom of the saw, there is an adjustment screw for your oiler. You can run the saw and see if the adjustment is not quite right first.

There is a bolt just next to that adjustment screw that removes the cover from the oil pump. The pump is turned by the shaft that runs the clutch. I took the clutch off, but found out I didn't really need to (left hand thread, use nylon rope in the piston to hold the clutch while you turn it).

You should be able to disconnect both the supply and feed end of the oiler lines and make sure they are clear first. (Dad's feed line was plugged. A little air through it and his was back up and running). I think you can just pull the oiler down and out of the hole that it's in, to inspect it, to see if it's stripped.

Another thing you can do, is to fish the line out of the reservoir and make sure that the filter is not plugged. (A bent wire and some patience should fish it out).

There are a few vids on YouTube with guys tearing em down and putting em back together. Not a horrible job, unless you need a part and have to find it. Check the easy stuff first. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

If its that big of an issue.....drain the oil when your done. They all leak due to pressure caused by temperature differences.
K.I.S.S.

Well, the things is, they arent supposed to leak 4-6oz of oil out onto the bed of your truck or onto the floor. Not all chainsaws do that either, this is the only saw out of 5 that I've owned that did this. But the leaking isnt the big issue, thats the oil not lubing the chain.

What is K.I.S.S.?

Last edited:
What is your bar oiler adjusted to? Use your manual to locate the adjustment screw, mine is located just under side cover on the chain side. I know many people say that you do not have to grease the bar tips on these, I found that I locked my bar roller tip up after about one hours use when it was brand new. The oiler was set to max without greasing the tip. What was strange the saw was giving off a light oil spray of oil just a few minutes before the bar roller tip locking up, but like I said no problems from it since I greased it per man. specifications and oiler set to MED and that was two years ago.

As far as the bar oil leaking problems, I havent ran into that.

You really have a good saw, if its something you cant figure out it would be worth taking back to (another) the shop and have them check out. But try greasing as the manual specifies first (if you dont already), it made a difference on mine.

Last edited:
Hi,

Are you 100% certain that you have the right bar and chain on the saw? Do the bar hole for oil and oiler hole align properly??

My guess is that the bar isn't properly lined up and therefore all the oil leaks out under the clutch cover and then leaks down onto the floor.

As another said evaluate whether there is typical oil spray off the end of the bar.

Also triple check/inspect the oil holes on the bar and the alignment with the powerhead.

I would also store the saw with the clutch cover off for a couple of days, after totally cleaning it of all oil, and seeing if it still appears to leak.

I have two 346s', one 12 years old and never had any oiling problem.

There have been a couple reports of excess leaking, can't remember the details, but the fix was easy. Threads are here somewhere...

Drain the bar oil out, I have found that some bar oil clots up if it sits for a few years. --- next check that the vent in open, this is under the tin cover plate under the bar.(small aluminum plug) --I have two 353's a 346, a 2149 and two 359's that all use this oil system. ---I have found that the small aluminum vent that looks like a 22 short if removed will cause both no oil, or an oil leak. --- if you are carefull you can drive the vent fron the case by accessing it through the oil fill hole. -- When you have it out clean it good and blow it out. ---Then try blowing on it, you will find that it should vent one way and seal the other.--- If you can blow through it both ways it will cause an oil leak. If it is plugged up it will not let the tank vent and will stop the saw from oiling after running a while.
----I have found both problems before and both times it was the vent. -----Hope this helps, good luck.

Sorry I dug through my pictures and can't find any. I have a new lap top now, but I know I have some pictures on my old desk top.
Will dig around and if I can find some I will post them. --- Maybe I can take a few tomorrow of my saw and it will at least give you a good idea of what I am taking about. --- Take care.

Take the clutch off and then remove the plate that covers the oil pump. The oil pump is fairly simple. There are two screws that I recall holding the pump to the saw. You'll see that when you remove the pump the oil pickup line with filter will come out with it. There is no discharge line as its part of the pump and feeds oil right to the saw body. Look at the pump parts to see if anything is worn. Also check the plastic gear that fits on the crank which in turn drives the pump. Could be its shot. If its leaking oil, check the pickup line that attaches to the pump. Could be its shot as well. Vent is imp. as stated earlier.

Bob

Mine still leaks bar oil. I finally got tired of fooling with it and just started draining the tank when im done. Mine leaks around the oil pump suction and discharge ports. Ive tried sealing it with 3 or 4 different sealers, it last about 6 weeks and then starts leaking again. Only saw ive ever had that leaks bar oil like this one......and its barely broken in :msp_angry:.

Mine still leaks bar oil. I finally got tired of fooling with it and just started draining the tank when im done. Mine leaks around the oil pump suction and discharge ports. Ive tried sealing it with 3 or 4 different sealers, it last about 6 weeks and then starts leaking again. Only saw ive ever had that leaks bar oil like this one......and its barely broken in :msp_angry:.

My 12 year old one has never leaked a drop. I like the oil delivery systems on the OE better.
My new one leaks a little now and then, but not all the time and not much.

Do a search on this site for your problem as this is common on the 346xp.

It is not common that it becomes an issue, but most saws leak a little oil if they sit in the "right" condition (they tend to do, as variations in temp contributes to it).

Often, if helps some to crank the oil cap open, when the saw gets cool after running.

I was able to take some pictures, you can see the small aluminum "bullet" in the pics. This is the oil tank vent and acts as a check
valve sealing oil from coming out but is necessary to vent the tank so oil can be pumped out. -- My first husky was used 359 that leaked a hugh puddle after useing it. --- took off the clutch cover and the tin plate covering the oil pump. ---It was easy to see where the oil was coming from once the saw was cleaned up. --- Talked to my husky dealer and he said that little aluminum "bullet" was a check valve. --- He looked around and $5 later I had a new one . ---Simple to replace once you do it. ---
My saw never leaked again. ---Now I have another 359 that will stop oiling after using it for a while, If I open the oil cap then it oils again for a while??? --- Removed the check valve cleaned it and reinstalled. ---fixed. ---Like others have said they all leak some oil
but should not drain the tank if left for a month, --- I wad up some paper towels and jamb them up under the clutch cover when I park my saws. ---Problem is I forget, and start the saw up before removing!!--- Heck the mice need some material to build nests in my tractor anyway.:msp_biggrin:View attachment 261165View attachment 261166View attachment 261167View attachment 261168View attachment 261169 ---- Hope these pics come through.

Latest posts

Back