1 ton chipper box ideas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigus Termitius

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Has anyone ever converted a one ton dump like this into a chipper box that can break down and go up again fairly easily?

!BSzoIpg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLl0WegBKFEKvskn!~~_1.JPG

I picked it up the other day...runs and dumps pretty good I think. I'm thinking about adding on to the wood rails that are already there, but before I start this project I wanted to see if anyone had done this, or had better ideas about building a temporarily permanent box.

I might just build up the sides and front and throw a tarp over it so that it can be easily pulled up and out with a loader so that I can use it with a loader for big stump projects or loading from the side, wood and what not, with the loader.

This truck is not intended to last me past this season; it's just in addition to my C-60. I'm wanting a 4x4 crew cab flatbed dump that I can build into a chipper box/flatbed/fifthwheel pulling machine.

When I had the dump bed built for my 1 ton the welder didn't listen to anything I said I wanted. So I wound up with a box that takes 1/2 a day to put the top back on.:mad:
My original idea was a bed similar to yours with "tarp bow's" and a removable front piece for the chips to blow against. A fitted tarp isn't real cheap, but they can be put on, and removed in a short period of time. The bow's could be easily removed if fitted to stake pockets.
Hope you figure something out that will work for you. I'll have to keep working with the abortion the welder stuck me with.

Andy

Has anyone ever converted a one ton dump like this into a chipper box that can break down and go up again fairly easily?

!BSzoIpg!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D4EjlLl0WegBKFEKvskn!~~_1.JPG

I picked it up the other day...runs and dumps pretty good I think. I'm thinking about adding on to the wood rails that are already there, but before I start this project I wanted to see if anyone had done this, or had better ideas about building a temporarily permanent box.

I might just build up the sides and front and throw a tarp over it so that it can be easily pulled up and out with a loader so that I can use it with a loader for big stump projects or loading from the side, wood and what not, with the loader.

This truck is not intended to last me past this season; it's just in addition to my C-60. I'm wanting a 4x4 crew cab flatbed dump that I can build into a chipper box/flatbed/fifthwheel pulling machine.

3/4 pvc and canvas makes a fair top tied down well!

I'm sure I'll get the 3rd degree for suggesting treated plywood as an option but, if it's just a short-term chip box, plywood would work fine.

I built the chip box for my 1-ton out of green treated lumber and plywood. It is now two years old and still looks pretty good albeit there is some slight buckling to the plywood in a couple of spots where I need to add some more screws.

The barn-door endgate hinges open to each side and hooks open during dumping with a small chain.

It's by no means as durable as a metal chip box but, it cost me $200 in materials and a day to build and paint so, not very much of an investment for something that will likely last me 2-3 seasons and was never meant to be permanent on this truck. It doesn't attach to the bed - it's just bolted to the 15" c-channel iron that slides down into the stake pockets of the truck bed. the box never budges from the truck bed whether during dumping or driving 60mph down the highway; yet, it can be lifted off by two guys fairly easily if needed.

Just an idea - not perfect but, a very inexpensive option that, if done right, can look just as professional as a steel box. The key is to do it right.

(BTW - the gap between the chip box and cab of the truck is for my mini skid. I load it from the side of the box using my dump trailer ramps...)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back