$100 MS 391

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fordriver6

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time lurker, first time poster.

Short version: picked up a Stihl MS 391 for $100. Almost brand new saw that can't have been run more than once or twice. Problem is that the adjustable oiler was turned all the way down instead of all the way up for a 25" bar. The result of that is some melted plastic on the crankcase and the clutch cover.

Long version: I was in my local Ace Hardware/Stihl dealer looking for something completely unrelated to chainsaws (windup key to a old US Navy 24 hour clock). Walked over to the Stihl section because they have a MS 880 on display and it never ceases to amaze me just how beefy it is. One of the salespeople walks over and starts talking to me. The conversation moves to the point where I tell him I very rarely buy new stuff because I am able to buy things that need work for cheap and fix them myself.

About this point, the salesman gets this look in his eye and says "come here". We walk behind the parts counter and he sets a new looking MS 391 up on the bench. No bar or chain just the power head. He proceeded to take the clutch cover off and show me some melted plastic. Tells me he hasn't attempted to find out why it happened. Says it belongs to another of the employees in the store and is asking $125.

After calling the other employee over, they show me the 25" bar that came with the saw. The replaceable roller tip feels like it has a bare little bit of grit in it. They had thought about selling the bar separate. I offered $100 for the saw and the bar and the offer was accepted.

After picking up a chain from a friend and heading home, I started to diagnose the saw. Fired it up and saw a little bit of oil come out of the oil hole. After forcing some grease in the roller tip, I put the bar and chain on, fired it back up and pointed it at a box I had laying around. Some oil was splattering on the box but not a nice line like usual. Flipped it upside down and discovered the oiler was turned all the way down instead of all the way up. After correcting that flaw it sprays a nice line of oil off the tip.

Did a small amount of cutting with it just to see how it handles and it does very well. Haven't done anything serious with it yet, so not sure if the melted plastic will pose any serious issues or not.

Sticker on the handle says that it's original price was $609. So I'm into it for a sixth of its original cost. I realize it's not a pro saw like a 362, but I figure for $100 it wasn't a terrible deal.
IMG_20181031_203746613.jpg IMG_20181031_203732412.jpg IMG_20181031_203622640.jpg IMG_20181031_203605700.jpg IMG_20181031_213953129.jpg

You get a “You Suck” for that deal. Spend the money on a replacement clutch cover and just to be safe check the clutch and grease the clutch hub bearing or better yet just get a new clutch hub bearing and make sure the chain brake works. Good deal.

Dont be afraid to remove the bar studs, chain adjuster etc, and file that area flat, check first with a straight edge, if its warped, you might be able to bring it back flat and square so it oils well, if its not leaking oil, and oiling well, leave it alone

oh and
You Suck hehe :)

I had no idea the 391 had the adjustable oiler. But I never checked either. I guess the 311 has it too.

Hell of a deal, they run $525 here.

+1 on checking the chain brake. I wouldn't do anything other than superficial cleanup on the frame. Buy a metal clutch cover and run that son-of-a-gun.
I've got an older 039 that gets-er-done.
The clouds parted and angles sang when this fell into your lap. Take the savings and get an 18" b&c, some good safety gear and accessories.

Thanks for the replies. Chain brake works properly and the groove on the bar looks good. I'll look into a metal clutch cover, was that an option on the 311/391 saws or an interchangeable part from a 361 or what?

After running the saw a little bit and setting it back on the bench it dripped two drops of oil, so I may do some filing on the case after I get a metal clutch cover and grease the hub bearing.

I may pick up a shorter b&c down the road. Between my dad and myself, we now have a Craftsman branded Poulan Micro xxv and a Echo cs-3000 with 12" bars, one of the last Poulan Woodshark 1950 that was USA made with a 14"bar, a McCulloch Super 10-10 Automatic with a 16" bar, a Husqvarna 55 with a 18" bar, a McCulloch PM 610 with a 20" bar and a Husqvarna 372xp with a 28" bar.

Of these only the Echo, Husqvarna 55, and McCulloch PM 610 were bought new. The rest were cheap/free. I have less than $250 in the 372xp because it needed a b&c, chain brake handle, main handle, and clutch cover. It also has a barely noticeable amount of play in the clutch side crank bearing. Seems like a good time to buy a case splitter.

I found one at the flea market with no bar and a dead coil for $100. Put a new bar on, full skip chain, cleaned the carb, and $50 Proline coil as compression is like new. It seems to oil good and no burnt case.

OuFSajy.jpg

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Short version: picked up a Stihl MS 391 for $100. Almost brand new saw that can't have been run more than once or twice. Problem is that the adjustable oiler was turned all the way down instead of all the way up for a 25" bar. The result of that is some melted plastic on the crankcase and the clutch cover.

Long version: I was in my local Ace Hardware/Stihl dealer looking for something completely unrelated to chainsaws (windup key to a old US Navy 24 hour clock). Walked over to the Stihl section because they have a MS 880 on display and it never ceases to amaze me just how beefy it is. One of the salespeople walks over and starts talking to me. The conversation moves to the point where I tell him I very rarely buy new stuff because I am able to buy things that need work for cheap and fix them myself.

About this point, the salesman gets this look in his eye and says "come here". We walk behind the parts counter and he sets a new looking MS 391 up on the bench. No bar or chain just the power head. He proceeded to take the clutch cover off and show me some melted plastic. Tells me he hasn't attempted to find out why it happened. Says it belongs to another of the employees in the store and is asking $125.

After calling the other employee over, they show me the 25" bar that came with the saw. The replaceable roller tip feels like it has a bare little bit of grit in it. They had thought about selling the bar separate. I offered $100 for the saw and the bar and the offer was accepted.

After picking up a chain from a friend and heading home, I started to diagnose the saw. Fired it up and saw a little bit of oil come out of the oil hole. After forcing some grease in the roller tip, I put the bar and chain on, fired it back up and pointed it at a box I had laying around. Some oil was splattering on the box but not a nice line like usual. Flipped it upside down and discovered the oiler was turned all the way down instead of all the way up. After correcting that flaw it sprays a nice line of oil off the tip.

Did a small amount of cutting with it just to see how it handles and it does very well. Haven't done anything serious with it yet, so not sure if the melted plastic will pose any serious issues or not.

Sticker on the handle says that it's original price was $609. So I'm into it for a sixth of its original cost. I realize it's not a pro saw like a 362, but I figure for $100 it wasn't a terrible deal.
View attachment 682641 View attachment 682637 View attachment 682638 View attachment 682645 View attachment 682647

This type of damage is most likely user error! Anything that slips the clutch under power will generate enough heat to melt the plastic bits shown in the photos. Several thoughts come to mind... Bogging the saw, trying to cut with a dull chain, babying the saw (not WOT operation), leaving the saw in starting position (fast idle) with the chain brake ON!

+1 on checking the chain brake. I wouldn't do anything other than superficial cleanup on the frame. Buy a metal clutch cover and run that son-of-a-gun.
I've got an older 039 that gets-er-done.
The clouds parted and angles sang when this fell into your lap. Take the savings and get an 18" b&c, some good safety gear and accessories.
Recommend 20" instead of 18 only the the 20 in 72 dl loops are very common

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back