106 Views and not a single opinion? Double wall pipe life expectancy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goat boy

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regular 8" black double wall pipe is 16 years old. It is straight about 20' long up to a cathedral ceiling where it connects to triple wall through the roof.
It's connected to a small Napoleon free standing stove. Mainly burn seasoned oak. Temp with a magnetic thermometer 12" above stove averages 300-400 degree's
sometimes 500. I know that is probably low since it doesn't have a probe. I clean the pipe with a brush from the bottom every other year and their is very little build up
in the pipe. It seems to be hot enough where condensation is not an issue. Anyone have a guess when I should think about replacing the pipe? Any good way to tell?

Regular 8" black double wall pipe is 16 years old. It is straight about 20' long up to a cathedral ceiling where it connects to triple wall through the roof.
It's connected to a small Napoleon free standing stove. Mainly burn seasoned oak. Temp with a magnetic thermometer 12" above stove averages 300-400 degree's
sometimes 500. I know that is probably low since it doesn't have a probe. I clean the pipe with a brush from the bottom every other year and their is very little build up
in the pipe. It seems to be hot enough where condensation is not an issue. Anyone have a guess when I should think about replacing the pipe? Any good way to tell?
When you write " regular", I'm guessing you mean steel.. As in not stainless steel. Even with "regular inspection you might miss something. What is it's life span ?? That's a guess. Good way to tell ??? Possibly a camera.. If not, take it down for serious inspection of every piece.. If you trust it,, reuse it.. If not, replace it cause of the age alone. Peace of mind while you and or family is asleep is Priceless.. Just an idea not a definite... You could also "sound it". Simply by tapping on each piece and joint.. If you shoot it with an infrared thermometer while it's fired you may also find more info.

.358 win,

Thanks for the reply. Yes it's steel. The triple wall through the roof is stainless. I bought the pipe and stove and the same time now 17 years ago. The owner of the small store who I knew well talked me into the double wall. I think the pipe cost almost as much as the stove. Glad I took his advice. I think before the next heating season I'm going to think seriously about replacing it.
Since it's a 20 ft. cathedral ceiling if I take it down I would just replace it. You can't put a price on peace of mind!

Latest posts

Back