When to change single wall stove pipe?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
We have the same black single wall stove pipe inside the house since 1990, about 7' of it. When I clean it I see surface rust on the inside of it but just use the wire brush on it, it gets some surface rust on the elbow and the small piece right above it, but I steel wool it off and apply paste stove polish to it, stick small cut pieces of gasket in the "gaps" that it has from factory where the pieces join, and just let it rip. But I am wondering, when should this be replaced? Obviously if there were any holes in it and it was leaking smoke then of course, but what kind of lifespan does this have? I never really thought about it much, but like I said it's 33 years old, should I replace it or just use it and keep an eye out for issues?

Thank you

We have the same black single wall stove pipe inside the house since 1990, about 10' of it. When I clean it I see surface rust on the inside of it but just use the wire brush on it, it gets some surface rust on the elbow and the small piece right above it, but I steel wool it off and apply paste stove polish to it, stick small cut pieces of gasket in the "gaps" that it has from factory where the pieces join, and just let it rip. But I am wondering, when should this be replaced? Obviously if there were any holes in it and it was leaking smoke then of course, but what kind of lifespan does this have? I never really thought about it much, but like I said it's 33 years old, should I replace it or just use it and keep an eye out for issues?

Thank you
Seriously, you have gotten your money's worth out of that pipe, replace it.

It fits into an insulated box at the ceiling that has double wall pipe running up from there outside.

You trade off heat vs draft/creosote buildup with uninsulated pipe. The single wall is going to give more heat to the house. If you go single wall don't cheap out, get a good stainless, no box store ****.

Let me explain this a little better, this is the pipe that goes from the back of the stove up to the ceiling of the room, it is only 7' not 10' like I mistakenly said earlier. It joins an insulated box at the ceiling, then the rest of the pipe outside is insulated steel double wall pipe, same age as this pipe inside. It's still in decent shape, doesn't leak, I polish it every year with paste stove polish, replaced the elbow a few times but am just wondering about it, would there be a benefit to replacing it or is it an "if it ain't broke don't fix it" situation?

Thank you

I replace mine every 2 years just for peace of mind.Like someone else mentioned, I'm sure pipe from 33 years ago was built much better though.

My single wall black pipe going up to the insulated ceiling box is 25 yrs old and going strong. I have no intentions of replacing it when it is in good condition and not leaking or rusting through, etc.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking too, but I wanted to see what others opinions on it were, if there was a reason I should replace it. Do you see any rust inside of the pipe when you clean it? I do, but just wire brush it off, then it gets coated with soot as I burn, but I never get any sappy creosote buildup, I always burn good dry hardwood so what soot accumulates is not a lot.

I also remember years ago I had a chimney guy in here for something else and I asked him to look at this pipe and he pressed on it a few times with his thumb and said "it's not oil canning" so he thought it was fine. It still isn't "oil canning" when I do that, so I guess I'll just keep going with it. I guess I was wondering about it because of how old it is.

Thanks to all for the replies!

The local stove shop told me about a guy who does chimney work so I called him and he came out this evening and looked at it. He said he believes it is stainless steel even though it is black painted, he said it still looks "great" and said he wouldn't do anything to it. He said he could tell by tapping on it, listening to the sound it made, it tells him if it is in good shape or not, so I'll leave it go. But he said he understood my thinking, seeing how it is 33 years old, but he said it seems just fine.

Thanks for the replies!

The local stove shop told me about a guy who does chimney work so I called him and he came out this evening and looked at it. He said he believes it is stainless steel even though it is black painted, he said it still looks "great" and said he wouldn't do anything to it. He said he could tell by tapping on it, listening to the sound it made, it tells him if it is in good shape or not, so I'll leave it go. But he said he understood my thinking, seeing how it is 33 years old, but he said it seems just fine.

Thanks for the replies!

Good information and thank you for sharing/updating.

Back