12 inch pole saw questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemniii

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm planning on getting a powered pole saw (I've got a decent manual one).
But have some specific questions I have not found the answers to on the company websites.
Front runners are the Echo (266, 280) Stihl Kombi, Stihl Ht133.

With a 12" saw what's the thickest branch you can figure on cutting? For example if I can get on both sides of the limb.

With the Stihl Kombi what is the max length I can get compared to the others?

How is the balance on the Stihl Kombi?

Thanks in advance

You really don't want to be cutting branches larger than 12" with a pole saw IMHO, although with care it can be done. I have an HT101 and it does everything I need it to, and has plenty of power. I believe the HT 103 has replaced tithe 101, and so far doesn't seemed to be as well liked as the older model. The Echo's seem to b the gold standard as of now.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

For me, it did not take too long to realize that with a pole saw, you really need to be able to make the cut from one side and be done with it. Being able to get into position from two sides of a branch is really asking too much of real,world situations.

Further, if you are cutting on a branch from the ground, that pole saw is going to be up at an angle to the cut and will diminish the ability to use the full length of the bar on either side of the cut. In other words, with a 12" bar, your never going to be able to cut a 22-24" limb unles you are up in a bucket.

Even if you are, that is a lot of jockeying around to get from one side of the limb to the other and then would be best served by either climbing the tree or cutting the limb from the bucket with a larger chainsaw.

In the end, I would think a practical maximum cut for a 12" bar and while on the ground would be more like 15-18" depending on the angle of attack. It honestly makes my shoulders ache thinking about that though.

That 15-18" estimate depends if you can get on both sides of the cut at the same angle which is rare in pole saw work.

Latest posts

Back