14 inch saw for limbing and small trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey SawTroll, what's the real weight of the 346XP NE, you posted it once and I have not been able to find it.

I never did, never weighted it, and don't really care - but I believe (know really) it is a bit closer to the stated weight than the 5100S is - it sure feels that way! :)

The original 346xp weighted exactly as advertised, but there has been no test report on the NE one so far.

Last edited:
You are still ignoring what the OP made a point of - by now I believe you just are teasing me, unless you are totally ignorant......:confused:

I agree the weight difference isn't that large, but it is a fact that the 420 is heavier than the MS250 that he dismissed because of its "excessive" weight (not my opinion). :buttkick:

That's kool, I'd Stihl recommend the 420 just to aggravate you, LOL.:buttkick: One of the very few cheap small pro built saws I can think of. I've never run one but to hear it's reviews, for the weight it might be a better saw.

I never did, never weighted it, and don't really care - but I believe (know really) it is a bit closer to the stated weight than the 5100S is - it sure feels that way! :)

The original 346xp weighted exactly as advertised, but there has been no test report on the NE one so far.

Okay, so the 346XP NE is somewhat lighter than the 5100S? Right?

I might buy a 346XP is why I ask, and no dealer near me has one, they all have to order the saw.

I am looking to get a saw for limbing and small tree clean up. A 14 inch bar would be what iam looking for. The ones i was looking at ms170 or the ms 180. My ms250 is too heavy to be swinging around. The 180 has 31.8 cc and the 170 has 30.1 and the weight of both saws are about the same.

I have run both; a friend's MS170 and I own the MS180C because it was given to me. Nice little saw cuts up to 10" wood quite handily. Keep the .043 gauge chain as the narrow kerf takes less power to cut fast. There is a noticable difference in power between the 170 and 180. I use the 180 for almost all my limbing it is light and plenty fast in 6" or smaller wood.

Yes, it is definately lighter. But it's not just about the weigh. It just handles so nice and nothing compares to its throttle response.

:agree2:

Exactly, that is the most important differences! :cheers::cheers:

Actually, imo even the MS361 handles better than the 5100 in the woods, despite some extra weight, and the trigger response of my Euro one is very close to the 346....:)

Last edited:
That's kool, I'd Stihl recommend the 420 just to aggravate you, LOL.:buttkick: One of the very few cheap small pro built saws I can think of. I've never run one but to hear it's reviews, for the weight it might be a better saw.

It recently was tested against the 445, 2245 etc (basically strato "homeowner class saws" with about the same power specs) in Sweden, and lost big-time. The main complaint was slow trigger responce/accelleration, unsuited for limbing spruce etc - sounds familiar?????? :popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

Last edited:
attachment.php
The MS 211 looks like a good one.For $300.00 you can get the MS 192 C-E 1.7hp 7.4lbs. 30.1cc.For more the MS200.I could not make up my mind so I went with the Husqvarna NE 346XP with 13" B/C.

The MS 211 looks like a good one.For $300.00 you can get the MS 192 C-E 1.7hp 7.4lbs. 30.1cc.For more the MS200.I could not make up my mind so I went with the Husqvarna NE 346XP with 13" B/C.

That sure is purty! Something very appealing about that wee little bar

attachment.php

13" is standard here, but a slimmer NK one that is pretty useless on that saw, unless you have a lot of smaller spruce to cut and limb....:popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

The one that came on mine now is on a US friends 339xp. :)

It recently was tested against the 445, 2245 etc (basically strato "homeowner class saws" with about the same power specs) in Sweden, and lost big-time. The main complaint was slow trigger responce/accelleration, unsuited for limbing spruce etc - sounds familiar?????? :popcorn::popcorn::givebeer:

I'm running the 211, best saw in it's class IMO. Just trying to help the OP out with some more choices/brands, it's not our money he will be using to get another saw. Let's give him our thoughts and he can decide from that.:cheers:

I'm running the 211, best saw in it's class IMO. Just trying to help the OP out with some more choices/brands, it's not our money he will be using to get another saw. Let's give him our thoughts and he can decide from that.:cheers:

By now you are! :)

Personally, I see no point in getting the 435 or 211 when the 440 exist - but that's just me going off-topic.........:)

Last edited:
By now you are! :)

Personally, I see no point in getting the 435 or 211 when the 440 exist - but that's just me.........:)

That is our difference, I'd rather run Stihl. Even if it's not the best saw for it's class, I know I can get parts and work on 'em all.:clap:

Two reasons to buy the 435 over the 440. . .

Personally, I see no point in getting the 435 or 211 when the 440 exist - but that's just me going off-topic.........:)

Niko - both are the same displacement. 40.9 ccs. . . but you of all people should know the 435 is lighter than the 440 -9.33 lbs vs. 9.78 lbs AND the 435 doesn't have the tooless chain tensioner that the 440 does!

Al :cheers:

Brad - you're right .

Yes, it is definately lighter. But it's not just about the weigh. It just handles so nice and nothing compares to its throttle response.

But I've got to tell you the 435's throttle response is every bit as good as my NE 346, and it's actually even more nimble than the 346 due to its' lighter weight. Is it more durable??? - most likely not - but I've got to say it is one amazing little saw.

I used it this past Saturday on my thinning project and bucked about 9-40' saplings in the 6"- 10" range. Lots of cuts and the saw never missed a beat.

Al :clap:

Last edited:
Back