14-year-old's second day climbing and felling trees.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad to see all the PPE.
I would make your notches more open so the trunk doesn't contact the bottom cut before it falls. Start with the angle cut - easier to aim and reach 80% of the diameter. I don't climb but am concerned where you have your rope at 10:11 in the video. Branch looks like it could break off.

Metsä I'll give you a more constructive commentary later when I have more time, but you are being taught some very bad and dangerous habits that will get you hurt at best.
Yep. I was not super keen on the way I was instructed to do the work either. Next time I am felling trees I will be using an axe and wedge and cutting properly instead of this improper unsafe method I was told to use. This man is clearly all about time when I am all about safety. Trust me, this man does lawn care better than tree service. I am also happy that your guy's criticism is so frank and now I know exactly what to NOT do. And besides, I don't want to be dead or crippled from a tree mistake so young. I will not be working with this man any time again by his rules.

Yep. I was not super keen on the way I was instructed to do the work either. Next time I am felling trees I will be using an axe and wedge and cutting properly instead of this improper unsafe method I was told to use. This man is clearly all about time when I am all about safety. Trust me, this man does lawn care better than tree service. I am also happy that your guy's criticism is so frank and now I know exactly what to NOT do. And besides, I don't want to be dead or crippled from a tree mistake so young. I will not be working with this man any time again by his rules.
its always an option to say no if he tries to get you to do something you know is unsafe
I have told my fair share of people "no, im not doing that" and usually they argue it in the name of productivity, BUT in the end im always the one with the most remaining body parts, I dont feel bad about it, neither should you

its always an option to say no if he tries to get you to do something you know is unsafe
I have told my fair share of people "no, im not doing that" and usually they argue it in the name of productivity, BUT in the end im always the one with the most remaining body parts, I dont feel bad about it, neither should you
Yep. I will be taking this mindset into battle next time.

Everyone watching the video that I put below my post:
Awkward The Office GIF

Back