15 ton enough?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Yes I did do a search on here:)
I am thinking of buying a splitter I am almost 40 now and getting tired of splitting by hand my palms killing me lol. Seriously now is a 15 ton going to be enough for me, my rounds that I would be splitting are 12''-20'' with the odd Poplar going 30'' Iam in Alberta so it is all Soft wood Black Spruce gives me the biggest problem with the knots and wet poplar with how stringy it is. Most what I see here is guy's talking about 30'' oak rounds I don't have that problem wish I did!I just finished splitting. some huge for here 20'' Lodge poll pine a full cord of it I am going to feel it tomorrow even though it is easy splitting wood.
I can get a 15 ton Speeco for $1000.00 new that's a great price up here.
So will a 15 ton do for my Soft wood?
P.S it snowed today And I have most of my wood in:clap:

Yes, it must be a realistically marked at 15 tons, unlike the 500 gazzillion ton rated 6hp 16gpm splitter at the farm stores. It should do fine.

It might...

My current machine will max at 22 tons. Like you, I am splitting soft wood. If you position to either cut the knots in half, or miss them, then it really doesn't take much.

My 2 stage pump kicks down to single at about 600 psi, and it only does that on really nasty cuts. With my large cylinder that means around 6 tons....

My $0.02 worth.

-Pat

I would think it would handle the majority of your wood. You might have to work at some pieces, but there's always the saw for that rare piece that doesn't want to split.

I am betting you will be happy with 15 tons I bought a 22 ton at Tractor supply and have been splitting all summer (mostly ash) I have thrown monster rounds in it that my sons and I can barely manage to put on the cradle and it split it!! I think it would eat softwoods easily but you will always have the crazy stringy stuff that is just a PITA no matter what you have. Good luck

I agree 15 ton will be enough for you. I have a 22ton Iron and Oak and haven't found a piece it can't split. I cut Live Oak, White Oak and Lodgepole Pine and Gray (Digger) Pine. Lodgepole splits so easy I turn the throttle down a bit so save gas and noise. 15ton should be plenty.
Dok

Yes that splitter will do fine...if you get a real big dense round just start shaving it from the sides first. That what I've been doing with my 8 or 10 ton 25 year old American splitter. And we do a lot of Elm down here too...be grateful you won't run into any of that.

No

I have to disagree with the other posters. You are going to run into some miserable stuff (I don't care if its poplar or not) that your are going to wish you had bigger. Personally, I wouldn't consider smaller than 20 ton.

i have a 16 ton and theres been VERY little it hasnt been able to split. ive had it 3 years now i think and ive split at least 15 cord with it. damn bear all oak and maple so far. it even does great on the crotches too ive been very happy with it. if i get a piece it cant split i either throw it aside till it gets cold or i chainsaw split it :)

No.. pass... get a larger splitter... someone just purchased a 27 ton speeco on sale for $1150.

22 ton speeco go on sale all the time...

here's spec's... 18 in stroke with 3.5in cyl
was looking at this splitter at Atwoods a few days ago... it's small

* Engine: 6.5 HP OHV
* Pump: Two-Stage, 11 gpm
* Cylinder: 3-1/2" diameter x 18" stroke
* Valve: Auto-Return
* Max Splitting Force: 15 tons
* Max Log Length: 19"
* Cycle Time: 8 Seconds
* Wheels: 4.80 x 8" Road Tires
* Wedge: 6" High
* Beam Size: 4-1/2" x 7"
* Hydraulic Capacity: 10 Quarts
* Filter: Replaceable
* Height: 36"
* Length: 65"
* Width: 45"

Last edited:

That's the one. I noticed most places don't sell anything bigger than a 20 ton. I do rip any tough looking rounds I have I rip cut them about 1/4 way through on the side with the most knots.
Thanks for the input guy's :cheers:

Last edited:

3.5 is a little small. I would go with a 4 Inch only. All depends on the wood you are splitting.

Update

Well I got the little 15 ton Speeco.This is my first Splitter I almost bought a 24 ton different model at Princess Auto but they did not have one assembled for me to look at + it was 400.00 more
So far I am real happy have not split anything big or green with it but it Zaps 14'' dry lodge Poll easily does not even slow down.Best thing is I don't even have to run the ram all the way through to split it and I get a lot less Shrapnel with the splitter than with the maul or Axe,Less to clean up and my shoulder is thanking me too.
It's pretty quiet running but I am half deaf anyway or really I better say I have selective hearing.:)
P.S Any body want to by some Mauls?:biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
Back