16" bar on a ms361?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a saw mod retard(hey, I'm a 11C!). What size pin is stock? Changing pin size would affect what chain I buy right? Only asking as I was thinking of going to the shop today and getting a new bar and chain but maybe I should order a new pin.

3/8 7pin stock on a 361
.325 8 pin is stock on a 290 (around here at least)

3/8 7pin stock on a 361
.325 8 pin is stock on a 290 (around here at least)

Just to clarify-I will need a new sprocket in order to switch bar and chain to 3/8?
I find myself using the husky 350(also in pristine condition) for limbing as it is so much lighter than the 290, so I'm wondering if I need both of those.:msp_confused:

Just to clarify-I will need a new sprocket in order to switch bar and chain to 3/8?
I find myself using the husky 350(also in pristine condition) for limbing as it is so much lighter than the 290, so I'm wondering if I need both of those.:msp_confused:

There is no need for a 290 if you have a 361 and a 350 - unless you like to have a spare/loaner.

For your 290 I would pick up part # 1125 007 1002 3/8 7t rim sprocket kit and part # 000 642 1234 .325 8t rim sprocket and then you can switch from 3/8 to .325 and back again by just changing the rim and b&c.

There is no need for a 290 if you have a 361 and a 350 - unless you like to have a spare/loaner.

You are absolutely right. BUUUUUUUUUUUUT, I'm fighting onset of CAD and the thought of getting rid of a saw causes me actuall physical pain that can only be fixed by looking at other saws on CL.:evilgrin:

I do really need a 4wheeler though. So how much would a ms290 with about 20-25 tanks of gas through it that has been VERY well maintained(as in looks practically new) go for? 2 RSC chains included.

Hey all. I have a 362 which I run a 20" and a 16" bar on. This spring while cutting firewood I was making 2 cuts to my buddies 1 with the 16" bar installed in similar sized logs. (he had a 290 with an 18").

My 029S came with a .325 7 pin sprocket and an 18 inch bar back in 1998. That is what I have run until this year. I now have as of this past summer a .325 8 pin sprocket as the 8 pin .325 appears to now to be the "standard" with the farm boss series. (I believe 7 pin 3/8 and 8 pin .325 are about the same chain speed to engine speed relationship.)

Yes the chain runs faster than before but may have indeed lost a hair on the torque, a would be expected. But it cuts fine for my purposes.

Hey all. I have a 362 which I run a 20" and a 16" bar on. This spring while cutting firewood I was making 2 cuts to my buddies 1 with the 16" bar installed in similar sized logs. (he had a 290 with an 18").

Welcome to AS!

Interesting. Lots of possible variables in that comparison, aside from the fact that the 361 is significantly more powerful. Differing length bars, potential differences is chain grade and chain pitch/gauge, different tuning on each saw, differences in cutting technique.

Matched with 16 inch bars and the same grade and pitch/gauge chain and all other possible differences mentioned above aside, the 361 would be very unlikely to get 2 cuts to the 290s one.

So how much would a ms290 with about 20-25 tanks of gas through it that has been VERY well maintained(as in looks practically new) go for? 2 RSC chains included.

$250 ?

You could check ebay completed auctions and your local craigslist. I see them around $200 in average condition on the local CL.

So how much would a ms290 with about 20-25 tanks of gas through it that has been VERY well maintained(as in looks practically new) go for? 2 RSC chains included.

I checked ebay this past summer for completed listings and they were selling over 300 shipped so I listed my 029Super on craigs for local pickup only and it sold for 290 as in M$290

Depends on the area but Ebay will get you the most but comes with the shipping woes.

BTW, what is the 290 going for new?

I run a 16'' on my 036 quite a bit. I like the reach of the 20'' much more but the 16'' power. never tried an 8 pin on my 036 with the 16'' b/c.

I'm running a 18" ES bar on my MM 361 with an 8 pin rim and it does a fantastic job in hardwood. I'm the type that will always run the shortest bar for the task at hand. You can never have too many sawsm if your going to run a 16" set up on your 361, keep your 290 and convert it to a 3/8 16" set up as well, and keep it as a spare, cheap insurance. I did a tree removal today, prolly in the 28-30" range, dead standing oak and didn't use anything other than a little 261 with an 18" bar, contrary to popular belief it doesn't always take 70-90 cc saws and 28" bars to work up a decent size piece of wood. A sharp.sharp chain makes more of a difference than most realize.

Latest posts

Back