16 Year Old: Employment Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey there, new to the forum and I've been waiting to ask someone expeirienced in the Forestry field a few question's I've had. I'm 16 years old and located in NY, and I'm enrolled in a Natural Resource technical ed. course. I've been gaining expeirience from surveying to equipment operation and I love doing and learning all of it. In terms of Forestry, I'm comfortable most basic stuff, like bucking logs, scaling logs (mainly blitmoore stick based), familiar with Doyle and 1/4 inch rules, tree felling and a few other things. I have a knack for basic equip. land surveying (No lasers, basic GPS) which I really like doing. I've been doing odd jobs and firewood for a few people I know, and curiosity got to me, so I figured it wouldn't hurt to see what would happen if I asked, so:

My questions are:
1) In your opinion, do you think that any foresty or surveying buissness would hire someone under 18, like me?
2) If so, how much would I be limited by youth employment laws (I'm sure chainsaw or equipment operation would be out of the question)
3) Is there anything you would recommend for me in the long run (other programs, college etc.), I really want to take something in these fields for a career.

If it matters, I am OSHA certified (10 hours), Thanks for your time!

Last edited:
Not sure about the modern labor laws, 19 is the youngest I have hired. And I covered him from head to toe in PPE. Not that I wouldn't hire a young guy part time. If the labor laws permit, I'm sure you could probably find someone who would work you part time surveying. I like it when young guys take an interest in what I do and I think most other guys do as well. It's fun having a young guy around to pick on... :wink2:

Of course the job market has been pretty lack luster the past few years. Lots of adults doing jobs that the young people used to do out of necessity. Still, wouldn't hurt to ask around. If you are OSHA certified you are probably way ahead of a lot of guys out there.

Good luck!

Wow at that young age with your attitude and enthusiasm you could be off to a great career start that could put you leaps and bounds ahead of your pears. Good for you :msp_thumbup: Look into attending some TCI expos would be a good start. Best of luck to ya!

I started bucking logs for my dad when I was 13, I started to learn how to scale logs, then learned how to cruise a track of woods. By the time I was 15 I started do alittle falling with supervision, operating machinery (skidsteers, dozers, tractor/forklift) and got to be pretty good at the whole thing. I got to where I can go in the woods and drop trees, buck em, hook up the chains, and my big brother would skid the logs out. Id run to the landing and load the logs onto the truck. And my dad would be doing other stuff and check in on us about 3 times a day.

If your brought into the buisness right, and know what your doing. Look around for a small logging outfit, ask them if they need any help running chokers, etc. Just ask them to give you a chance. Dont take money, at your age you need expeirence not money. If you cant find anything, start up your own little firewood buisness.
Im 17, and for as long as iv been doing this, people still dont take me seriously. Its up to you to prove them wrong :cheers:

Another side note, dont be like me and let that pretty little blue-eyed blonde get in your way of your dreams. I burned alot of time calling to her every needs when I should of been focusing on things alittle more important at the time. :)
Good luck!
Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

I have never met you so excuse me if I'm out of line but I think the one limiting aspect of your youth may be strength. At 16, I figure your ready to go but this business is very physically demanding. Brains can keep you safe but the brawn will get you through the day too. It's great to see that you've learned the brains part first rather thant hrough trial and error. I like to work with younger guys, they want to learn and want to work. I have a 17 year old kid that works with me, 6'5", 240 lbs, not the brightest bulb on the tree but strong as an ox. If he can get some brains behind the back, he's well on his way. With as much knowledge and certifications as you have, don't be afraid or slighted if they tell you to drag brush or lump logs. You'll get your chance to shine. :msp_thumbup:

Good luck!! :cheers:

I agree with ct to a point. I'm a little dude, only a buck forty five but strong for my size, guess 23 years of climbing trees will do that to ya. Got a couple bigger guys working for me, they can lift more then me but I'll work circles around their ass every day of the week :smile2:

Thanks everyone for the positive replies. I see your point Capetrees, I'm only 5'9 and 165, definently not the strongest guy but I can generally move and work quicker then some of the big guys I know.

Chainsawxx: I can relate to your advice! haha. I'm in rural WNY, and finding some of the smaller outfits locally will probably take some time, Black cherry's been going up a little but not much otherwise. I don't have the best connections to get into the industry, I don't have any family like a father that could maybe pull some strings. I do know some people that are tied into the consulting part of it, should I see where they would send me?

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback!

Thanks everyone for the positive replies. I see your point Capetrees, I'm only 5'9 and 165, definently not the strongest guy but I can generally move and work quicker then some of the big guys I know.

Chainsawxx: I can relate to your advice! haha. I'm in rural WNY, and finding some of the smaller outfits locally will probably take some time, Black cherry's been going up a little but not much otherwise. I don't have the best connections to get into the industry, I don't have any family like a father that could maybe pull some strings. I do know some people that are tied into the consulting part of it, should I see where they would send me?

Thanks again, I appreciate the feedback!

Im 5' 4" and weigh in at 155, Im short and muscular... thats all she wrote!

You might get lucky with one of the bigger outfits? Ya never know!
Push comes to shove, Invest in a small 1 ton Chevy flatbed, build yourself a way to load up logs. Take the bull by the horns and do it yourself... Watta got to loose?
Find the occasional Cherry log, build your way up to where you want to be :cheers:

See if you can get a job marking timber for a consulting forester, you don't need to be strong to do that. It will get your foot in the door and you can learn alot from staring at trees all day. I see you are in wny, I don't know how far that is from williamsport pa. but I know a consulting forester in the area that hires young kids sometimes to marking timber. He is a great guy and will teach you the ropes. PM if you are interested. Marc

Have you tried contacting your local DEC forester? We had one come out to our land and walk through it with us offering advice on how to manage it. He's currently drawing up a management plan for us. Seemed like a really cool job. The DEC does a lot in our state, you might be able to get some info from them, might even have programs geared to your age. You said you're in a course, what does your teacher say?

Have you tried contacting your local DEC forester? We had one come out to our land and walk through it with us offering advice on how to manage it. He's currently drawing up a management plan for us. Seemed like a really cool job. The DEC does a lot in our state, you might be able to get some info from them, might even have programs geared to your age. You said you're in a course, what does your teacher say?

We have some ties with the DEC, mainly in our senior year (it's a 2 year course), we head up to the state forest and fell some of the timber that they mark, cruise it, and sell it for firewood with the proceeds towards the program. I've been bugging my teacher lately, and I convinced him to introduce me to one of our local surveyors this spring. Hopefully all goes well :msp_thumbup:

The Labor laws that are posted above me basically confirm what I was worried about, but I'm hoping I might find a way to work around it. I've roofed a few times, and I know plenty of kids my age that legitimately work in the areas that are supposed to be off limits. It won't hurt to try and see what happens.

Thanks again everyone :smile2:

Wow, I'm glad I read that. I used to have a 14 year old neighbor help with the portable sawmill when I lived in Williamsburg. Heck, he could run it almost as well as I could, we would trade off sawing and offloading positions at break times.
I also hired a guy to help me last summer about a month before his 18th birthday.
From now on I won't be even talking to anyone less than 18. Too bad, I can remember getting turned down when I was looking for small engine work at age 14.

As for the OP, sounds like you're pretty much out of luck in this industry till you turn 18 as well.
Rick

I know they make these laws to protect kids. My issue is 16-17 yo aren't really kids. I went to college and all but I worked as a groundie at 16 for a local climber. Heck he let me climb a couple times and gave me some old gear he was to fat for anymore. Ya know what, after he gave me gear it was the first time I was ever tied in to the old sycamore behind the folks place at 60' up. I know alot of 16-17 yo aren't very mature, but really if you are trying to get into a job at that age that you get up at 4am to go to, you are probably more responsible than most of the 30 something's on welfare.
The best LEGAL option for you if you want to fell is find a farmer to hire you hourly to clear fence rows, and get his permission to buck and haul on your time to sell firewood.

Im 5' 4" and weigh in at 155, Im short and muscular... thats all she wrote!

You might get lucky with one of the bigger outfits? Ya never know!
Push comes to shove, Invest in a small 1 ton Chevy flatbed, build yourself a way to load up logs. Take the bull by the horns and do it yourself... Watta got to loose?
Find the occasional Cherry log, build your way up to where you want to be :cheers:

Knew youd be lurking round here Jacob, Im 16 my self, been runnin a saw since 13 also. I started out just trimming abd bucking small stuff but after 3.5 years at it i am now cutting trees down for the local farmers sharpening chains clearing fence lines mostly felling and trimming for the friends, makes pretty good money and alot of expirence.

Knew youd be lurking round here Jacob, Im 16 my self, been runnin a saw since 13 also. I started out just trimming abd bucking small stuff but after 3.5 years at it i am now cutting trees down for the local farmers sharpening chains clearing fence lines mostly felling and trimming for the friends, makes pretty good money and alot of expirence.

He's lying, he usually hangs out at the local truckstop!

Latest posts

Back