16 yo kid inside a mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scut207

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Sick. Child labor laws are there for a reason. Someone has a big lawsuit about to happen.

"In Wisconsin, minors are prohibited from working in many occupations in logging and sawmills. According to the state Department of Workforce Development, children under 18 are prohibited from entering a sawmill building. They are also not allowed to work felling or bucking timber, collection or transporting logs, operating or assisting in operating power-driven machinery, handling or using explosives, working on trestles, working on portable sawmills, working in lumberyards used for storing green lumber or using a chainsaw."

https://www.wpr.org/teen-boy-dies-f...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

What's wrong with a 16 year old working? But yeah very sad

nothing wrong with a 16 yo having a side job.

I don't think 16 yo belong in hazardous factories with lots of "red mist" whirling blades of death, or hydraulic pinch point machines with items that weigh 1000s of pounds moving around at smash you dead speed.

Sawmill work might be the most dangerous work in the world, I'm having trouble thinking of something more dangerous, other than homemade submarine pilot.

Same reason we don't have 16yo kids in the military.

I don't think 16 yo belong in hazardous factories with lots of "red mist" whirling blades of death, or hydraulic pinch point machines with items that weigh 1000s of pounds moving around at smash you dead speed.

Shouldn't there be gaurds and what not on those machines?

We have two 16 year old apprentices at work (engineering) also a couple 14 year old school kids. I see no problem hell many 14 15 16 year olds are far more onto it than green 19 or 20 kids that can't even change their cars oil.

All depends on the kid. Not fair he died at 16 but could just as easily been 20

I feel for the family, any loss of life is tragic, but I agree with Bill, the facts arnt out yet. I also agree there's no reason a 16yo shouldn't be able to work in these jobs, given the proper supervision. I started working heavy duty diesel on co-op in high-school. I was 17, I wasn't allowed to co-op at 16. Plenty of dangerous occupations out there.

Cotten wool society. If the kid doing no good at school and knows what he wants to do then let him go. Young lad at work was 16 started apprenticeship. Tradesman at 19 house and married at 20 got couple kids now nice house couple trucks. Great member of society. A moral citizen you could say

I feel for the family, any loss of life is tragic, but I agree with Bill, the facts arnt out yet. I also agree there's no reason a 16yo shouldn't be able to work in these jobs, given the proper supervision. I started working heavy duty diesel on co-op in high-school. I was 17, I wasn't allowed to co-op at 16. Plenty of dangerous occupations out there.
Scut completely jumped the gun in making assumptions.

Scut completely jumped the gun in making assumptions.

It's against WI law for the kid to be in the mill. You're right, I do not know the situation, nor the folks involved. He died inside of it, that family has a ton of legal ground to stand on should they want to pursue it.

It's against WI law for the kid to be in the mill. You're right, I do not know the situation, nor the folks involved. He died inside of it, that family has a ton of legal ground to stand on should they want to pursue it.
How do you know that for certain based solely on what you posted? Really I would love to hear it.

The age to join the military has exactly ZERO to do with the age kids should work at. For you to try to compare them is ludicrous.

Its the age where we legally become an adult, or thought to have the faculties to make adult decisions. Its analogous to whether you could be employed in a hazardous factory at 18 vs 16.

How do you know that for certain based solely on what you posted? Really I would love to hear it.
Ok, I'll admit I jumped to some conclusions, I guess its possible he was killed in some way that he wasn't working with dangerous machinery. 16yo are allowed to work in a limited capacity at a saw mill. From what and how it was written, it seemed that it was entirely illegal to be employed in any fashion there.

Its the age where we legally become an adult, or thought to have the faculties to make adult decisions. Its analogous to whether you could be employed in a hazardous factory at 18 vs 16.
So tell us how this young man was employed in a hazardous factory

Sawmill work might be the most dangerous work in the world, I'm having trouble thinking of something more dangerous, other than homemade submarine pilot.

"Homemade submarine" :laugh:

Latest posts

Back