16 yo kid inside a mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fire up a Heidelberg

Donald Duck Lol GIF

That's pretty good! I had to fire up the internet to find an answer to that expression.

When someone says "fire up a Heidelberg," they are essentially referring to starting or operating a Heidelberg printing press. The phrase implies the action of powering up the machinery, preparing it for printing, and beginning the printing process. Heidelberg printing presses are well-known for their reliability, precision, and efficiency in producing large volumes of high-quality prints, making them a popular choice in the printing industry.​

That is the exact reason why we need to expand vocational and technical programs in our schools instead of closing them.

Most of the ones that have closed around here in the last decade that I know of have closed when a teacher quit or retired and they couldn't find anyone to teach the classes. Quite a few of them have closed up for that reason.

Define "productive work". Is it homework? I'd say that homework for school should be THE priority. Then worry about all other stuff.

Nobody has mentioned a big cause of this. Fewer people are able to make it across the border. Those folks are not drug smugglers but are people who want to work here for better wages than in their homelands. They can be worked here for low pay and don't dare complain about their working conditions. They are fewer in number lately. The same goes for those folks who enter the country with work visas. They are told not to complain or they'll be fired and then sent home, because they no longer are working. Orchardists have complained for some time that it takes too long to process people legally. Hmmmmm. Could that be another result of Lower Taxes and Fewer Gubmint Workers? Hmmmmm.

A good listen on work visa workers and their abuse. Part one:
https://www.latinousa.org/2023/04/14/headdown1/

Most of the ones that have closed around here in the last decade that I know of have closed when a teacher quit or retired and they couldn't find anyone to teach the classes. Quite a few of them have closed up for that reason.
That is a lame excuse that is used to justify closing a program. There are teachers out ther but schools do not want to maintain the programs.

That is a lame excuse that is used to justify closing a program. There are taechers out ther but schools do not want to maintain the programs.
Uh, how are you going to have a program without anyone to teach it? Or no funding (again the hatred of paying taxes can affect programs in schools) for such classes?

That is a lame excuse that is used to justify closing a program. There are taechers out ther but schools do not want to maintain the programs.
Not always, I know for a fact that there are some that have closed due to lack of qualified applicants. Now NC is also not the state to offer the most incentives to teachers either, we have a good percentage who leave the state. Speaking for ag, we have a continuous shortage of ag teachers. Most other vocational areas are no better off.

Ok bill, how am I supposed to interpret his statement?

Is he not comparing the dangers of operating an automobile vs working in a sawmill? Did he not state explicitly that driving a car is more dangerous than working in a mill?

I guess if we’re just allowed to make up whatever we want to suit the narrative, sure.

I guess we can ignore the whole danger of working any job, like none of the rankings of the top ten most dangerous jobs, which timber farming always lands in, cause you could at any point get hit by lighting, so everything else is just moot.

Or maybe I’m wrong, that you arent intentionally just being cantankerous, explain exactly what level of semantical inspection (which of his words are the point) should I apply to his analogy, so that I don’t miss his point?
Well since my statement has caused a bit of a stuffstorm, I'll explain EXACTLY what I meant by it so there will be no further confusion.
My point was (and still is) that the damned GOVERNMENT will take the time and spend the money to regulate the lumber industry and the what, 2500 kids (possibly) that work there that may hurt themselves, or possibly a co-worker. While granting carte blanch drivers licenses to the 100's of thousands of teenagers that may (and will) injure themselves and the others on (and off) the road as well.
Any assertion that one activity that can cause injury or death is more dangerous than another is asinine! Dead is dead! A missing limb from one activity is just as gone as if from any other activity. Anyone disagreeing with that statement is simply a fool or purposely being contrary.
You can post all the statistics you wish, but the fact remains that more people will die at the hands of teenage drivers than teenage mill workers this year and every year.

Mike

Well since my statement has caused a bit of a stuffstorm, I'll explain EXACTLY what I meant by it so there will be no further confusion.
My point was (and still is) that the damned GOVERNMENT will take the time and spend the money to regulate the lumber industry and the what, 2500 kids (possibly) that work there that may hurt themselves, or possibly a co-worker. While granting carte blanch drivers licenses to the 100's of thousands of teenagers that may (and will) injure themselves and the others on (and off) the road as well.
Any assertion that one activity that can cause injury or death is more dangerous than another is asinine! Dead is dead! A missing limb from one activity is just as gone as if from any other activity. Anyone disagreeing with that statement is simply a fool or purposely being contrary.
You can post all the statistics you wish, but the fact remains that more people will die at the hands of teenage drivers than teenage mill workers this year and every year.

Mike

I disagree with your statements, I am not just trying to be argumentative.

People have died walking on the sidewalk. Some people have died choking on a tablespoon of water.

You cannot in good faith say walking on a side walk is just as dangerous as climbing mount Everest or swimming in a kiddie pool is equivalent to swimming the English channel.

2 of those have an expectation of death for a novice, the others dont.

Labeling anyone a fool who disagrees with you is probably not the best start, especially when the basis of your statement is fundamentally off.

I disagree with your statements, I am not just trying to be argumentative.

People have died walking on the sidewalk. Some people have died choking on a tablespoon of water.

You cannot in good faith say walking on a side walk is just as dangerous as climbing mount Everest or swimming in a kiddie pool is equivalent to swimming the English channel.

2 of those have an expectation of death for a novice, the others dont.

Labeling anyone a fool who disagrees with you is probably not the best start, especially when the basis of your statement is fundamentally off.
Living has an expectation of death!
And your comparisons are fundamentally flawed. I'm sure someone raised in a bubble from birth and suddenly set free on the sidewalk could have a reasonable expectation of death just as someone who never climbed a mountain and started to the summit of Everest would.
It isn't about the inherent danger involved, it all amounts to the end result.
If you are walking down the street and some asshat in a red Ford SUV runs you down and kills you, that makes you just as dead as if you were struck by lightning or killed in a sawmill!
Life is fraught with danger. Every morning when your feet hit the floor, it is a race to make it back to the bed in the same shape. You aren't required to agree, you have the right to be as wrong as you please.

Mike

Living has an expectation of death!
And your comparisons are fundamentally flawed. I'm sure someone raised in a bubble from birth and suddenly set free on the sidewalk could have a reasonable expectation of death just as someone who never climbed a mountain and started to the summit of Everest would.
It isn't about the inherent danger involved, it all amounts to the end result.
If you are walking down the street and some asshat in a red Ford SUV runs you down and kills you, that makes you just as dead as if you were struck by lightning or killed in a sawmill!
Life is fraught with danger. Every morning when your feet hit the floor, it is a race to make it back to the bed in the same shape. You aren't required to agree, you have the right to be as wrong as you please.

Mike

this is playing chess with a pigeon.

this is playing chess with a pigeon.

Just doing my part to try and educate!
You continue to complicate the issue with irrelevant facts.

How many people died in sawmill accidents?
How many people died as a result of a teenage driver?

Where should our tax dollars be spent to the maximum effect?

Mike

Not always, I know for a fact that there are some that have closed due to lack of qualified applicants. Now NC is also not the state to offer the most incentives to teachers either, we have a good percentage who leave the state. Speaking for ag, we have a continuous shortage of ag teachers. Most other vocational areas are no better off.
How does your state certify vocational educators? What is required and does it differ from a core subject?

Uh, how are you going to have a program without anyone to teach it? Or no funding (again the hatred of paying taxes can affect programs in schools) for such classes?
Patty,

I would love to hear your vast knowledge of how vocational programs are operated, how teachers are certified, and how programs are funded. I am all ears to listen to your knowledge.

Just doing my part to try and educate!
You continue to complicate the issue with irrelevant facts.

How many people died in sawmill accidents?
How many people died as a result of a teenage driver?

Where should our tax dollars be spent to the maximum effect?

Nah don’t stress yourself, literally no one is confusing what you wrote with education.

I can’t tell if you’re just playing the part of intentionally missing the point for irony purposes or if you’re tragically serious.

Driving is an activity that many teenagers need to engage in for work, school, family transportation, or for many other well justified purposes. Risk comes with that but there are often very good reasons to accept that risk.

Few if any teens NEED to work in a saw mill. Even if that is the only employment available, there can reasonably be age limits and other limitations imposed on hiring teens for a job with that risk level. My guess is that the risk per hour of working in a saw mill exceeds that of the risk per hour of driving.

Nah don’t stress yourself, literally no one is confusing what you wrote with education.

I can’t tell if you’re just playing the part of intentionally missing the point for irony purposes or if you’re tragically serious.
Sir,
It takes a ton of falsely inflated testicular power for you to mention anyone else's education after your first post. You first post showed zero knowledge of the actual situation and just a political rant. After that was pointed out you failed to educate yourself on the facts. You continued to argue and still not provide any concrete factual evidence. Please do not be critical of a man's education when you yourself have demonstrated a lack thereof.

Driving is an activity that many teenagers need to engage in for work, school, family transportation, or for many other well justified purposes. Risk comes with that but there are often very good reasons to accept that risk.

Few if any teens NEED to work in a saw mill. Even if that is the only employment available, there can reasonably be age limits and other limitations imposed on hiring teens for a job with that risk level. My guess is that the risk per hour of working in a saw mill exceeds that of the risk per hour of driving.
Sir,
What real-life experience do you have in the subject? Just today (Tuesday) I witnessed a well trained, well educated adult nearly severely injure an employee. That is the second time in a year the same well educated, well trained employee has done so. Today (Tuesday) he almost got me but I saw it coming. and dodged it. The young man behind me could not see it coming and he damn near felt the brunt.

Back