165 degrees (not global warming)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
IMG-0326.jpgIMG-0317.jpg
It was a nice afternoon in central colorado to be out splitting a load of wood. Frank came out and he was working the splitter pretty well today. I moved the splitter, and brushed up against the hydraulic tank. Gosh, that is getting a trifle warm. Ok, I fetched the IR thermometer, and had a check... I think 165 is a bit warm. It will be nice in the winter... Should not ever have any problem with condensation :laugh:. Ok, like I said in another thread, running engine at about 3000 rpm on a 22gpm pump makes about 18.26 gpm, the cylinder has 1/2 NPT ports... a bit of a restriction, even with biggest fittings, and 3/4" hoses, it generates some heat. The engine seems to have sufficient power so I am going to not worry too much about it...

It seems that I have upgraded from "yard monkey" to "yard Gorilla". Frank is a great kid to work with. What a uncommon trait in this day and age! a millennial that knows how to get to work!!! I will help him any way I can.

I really like that splitter idea

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Most construction equipment will run the oil temps way above that, typically above engine coolant temp, I have seen transmissions and hydraulic systems run in the 250+ range, the oil really needs to get above 212 so that any water present is boiled off.

It was 95 here yesterday and I had the tree saw on the skid loader cutting hedge trees and the hyd oil temp on the skid loader was running 210 with the water temp at 180. Even on a cooler day its running 190 or so.

@rancher2 you got it, that oil has got to get up there to keep water out, FD14E Fiat dozer I used to run trans temp would be in the 265-280 range no matter what, these Link-Belt excavators I'm around now will run right in there as well. engine oile will general run in that range too.

Excellent feedback fella's, I really appreciate it. I asked one of the local guys up here, and he said that 165 is nothing to worry about. My thinking is that if it climbed much past 200 I would start to freak out a little. The splitter used to run a lot cooler, but also with a slower engine (diesel).

There has to be a happy medium between running too cool, and running two hot. This might be pretty good setup. I know the warm hoses will be nice in the winter time for cold fingers! I noticed that the engine is putting a blast of warm air directly at me, mildly annoying in 85 deg afternoon. I might build a "deflector" to channel some of that away.

I've worked on a few log processors, one sticks in my mind think it was a timber wolf. That ran fairly consistently around 210*f on hydro temps. The auto split/return wouldnt work untill it got over 150*f I'd say your plenty safe.

A quick check of the parts breakdown can tell you what seals are in your equipment, Buna is cheaper and has a much lower operating temp , Viton is a high performance material that handles almost twice the heat.

Back