I converted the splitter to electric and added a 4 way wedge

isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Running it on 120 would double the amps and burn it up, so that's not an option.

I am running a mix of aw32? and atf, with some other "not remembered oil" mixed in.

Sandhill Crane

Sandhill Crane

AS Member
I think you could add on to the front of the four-way wedge add-on to speed up your splitting. Maybe three inches of 1" stock to begin the split. It's possible it might leverage and twist off your existing wedge.
IMG_1560.jpg

isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think you could add on to the front of the four-way wedge add-on to speed up your splitting. Maybe three inches of 1" stock to begin the split. It's possible it might leverage and twist off your existing wedge.
View attachment 881560
If you look at my 4 way, it already has about 2" of vertical sticking out. The shift pressure was set too low in the videos because I had just put it together and I had no idea where to set the adjusting screw after rebuilding the pump so I left it backed out a bit. That's why it kicked down so easy. I have now set it and it works very well. I can fit a 24" long log in it and the pusher just kisses the wedge at the end of the stroke. The wedge that the 4 way slips over is very thin like the center of yours, but without the flare. There is nothing it can't split with the 4 way removed, and the 4 way will split dang near everything to start with.

isaaccarlson

isaaccarlson

Addicted to ArboristSite
Here it is splitting locust tonight. I ran it for about 15 minutes and split a good face cord.
The temp was 32* and the oil reached about 70*.