170 chainsaw replacement carb

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a 170 stihl almost new and wantto toss the stock carb with H&L ajusments - what carb should I be looking for
Walbro WT-215 is what everyone uses. However, It is NOT a drop-in replacement. The air box has to be modified to accommodate the adjustment screws. I think that there are some threads on here on how to do this mod.

Thankyou, is there any model that this carb was used on from factory built saws, just wonering.
Sure
If you have a snorkle it can be taken off and the cap plate used. Most times an interchangeable part.
017-180 use that little carb. 021-250 take the bigger carbs. 171-251 I'm not sure what they used in those models

The jet in the original carb can be replaced/ drilled out to properly tune it... its a pretty straightforward process

noticed how smoky and dirty this saw ran- watched a vidio where the guy cut ote the center piece of the muffler where all the little holes are under the screen - spark arester screen holder left intacked cleand the muffler up and put the plate and spark sceen back in, opened up the gills just a bit with a screwdriver still keeping them directionel and it runs fantastic runs clean and lots more balls - did the same to my older on - same thing- think they have to run so rich is jus to keep them runnig but always smoked more then it should- unburnt fuel= greasy muffler and plugged spark sceen IMO

The ones I've seen have almost all been on the lean side... the newer the leaner. Id be hesitant to open up the muffler without being prepared to tach the saw & tune it accordingly afterwards

Did dial them in and will go put one to work or a tank keepig a cose eye on heat - let it cool down and check the sparkplug color, if it its what I like to see- dark brown or dark grey then I'm fine in my my imo, white means you have a problem, I have neen tuning saws a lot of years, thanks for your advice

Latest posts

Back