19,500 GVW or 25,000 GVW truck ?? Any advice recommended

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Guys, I'm lookin for a little bit of advice. I'm lookin at buying a used cabover truck. Probably an Isuzu or something. I want to take my 10' foot Arbortech chip body and L-box package off of this older F450 bigblock I have and idk..just build a new truck with it. I love this chip body and toolbox/cabinet, but I want a more comfortable, powerful truck, which gets better gas mileage, can haul more weight, will last longer, and has a better turning radius.

My question is: Should I go for this 19,500 gvw truck, OR a 25,000 gvw truck? They both have the exact same 6-cylinder diesel engine. I'm wondering if there are any drawbacks either way?

I'm also considering future placement of a small knuckle boom/log loader onto it, placed b/w the cab and body. ANY SUGGESTIONS on an affordable route to take with this? new,used, brand, options, etc..? Thanks guys. I think I want a grapple on the end of it though.

[The chip body has removable roof panels, so I figure I could just take off the end panel to load logs when needed on occasion. I'm sick of all the time wasted piecing out every big trunk into cookies for loading. Will this knuckle boom be a real burden to carry around all the time on the chipper truck? I figure I'll just keep it covered with a tarp, and bust it out when guys are tired, or logs within reach.]

*this is my current truck (attached)View attachment 248929

Go Big or Go Home

Go with the bigger chasis. It will have a better drivetrain and load capacity if you put that boom on it. Talk with the mechanics at your local service shops, they'll know what has been floating around as far as the market goes and let you know what problems they have seen. When I was at a fleet service shop, a local company had UD cabover trucks and they pounded the piss out of them when driving. We serviced their small fleet and I did not find anything in particular wrong with the trucks. That was 8 years ago, see what is going on currently. Good Luck!

How does the current F-Superduty handle what your're doing? If you are replacing it and do not expect to be doing bigger work, the 19,5 may be just fine. If you are replacing the Superduty because you have out grown its capacities, I would go to the 25,000lb truck and be done with it.

Honestly, that's a good question, as I'm on the fence a little as to if it's even a wise $12,000-15,000 investment to swap trucks,.. if it even makes sense to ditch this F450 with 85k miles on it. Plus, I'll probably have trouble just selling this f450 cab and chassis.
The f450 is a clean truck and has been well maintained I think. I just feel that its so uncomfortable, a gas hog and a half, most groundies cant drive it because its a big heavy of a tank 5-speed manual transmission, I feel like it may leave me on the side of the road broke down some day, and it prob needs about $1,500 worth of work on it right now.. It lacks a lot of power, and feels like either.. it is just getting waaay tired... or else maybe its just out of tune and needs work, and so thats maybe just why it feels like its going to die on me... idk.
But so.. what do you guys think?

Its got a 460 bigblock in it.
It needs an exhaust manifold.
It has some problem with the air pump i think I was told. It revs way up at random sometimes, a loud revving noise, which sounds like the fan taking off like an airplane or something all of a sudden. Its bizarre. usually when there is a load in it, and going up some sort of hill.
idk.. its rear springs or shocks I think are getting to the point of needing replacement.

See, I'm thinking that a cabover.. would idk, be a wise investment at some point. Plus, I really want to outfit a LOG LOADER/OR KNUCKLE BOOM/ MINI CRANE or something onto the same truck, so I can just have an all in one chip truck, which can take some logs too.

Do you guys have an opinion on outfitting an affordable smaller log loader onto an all purpose truck? Do you think its a good idea? and how about cost?

Guys, I really need help making this decision.

What year is your Ford?

Sounds like you are having some basic issues piling up and pissing you off. Fix the exhaust manifold. An exhasut leak will rob you of power.

The fan sound sounds like your engine fan is coming on while going uphill under load because that is when your engine is the hottest. Also, check your coolant for boiling/freezing temp and see if the radiator is flowing coolant. If the radiator is partially plugged, that will need to spikes in temp, causing you fan to come on. Additionally, check the fan coupling. I believe most gas jobs use a viscous coupler to engage the fan, yours could be not working correctly. Fan coming on and basic cooling issues will also rob you of power.

The air pump goes to the back side of the exhaust and does not affect performance per se, it helps exhaust emissions. The pump itself running adds a load to the engine, robbing you of power. Often times the air pump is removed from the system although you need to plug the exhast where it was plumbed into.

Big block gas engines use a lot of fuel. I have a 454 in my 1991 3/4 ton (2 wheel drive) that is getting roughly 10mpg all the time, better with out my dump trailer, worse when loaded to the nuts. Mine's long time paid for and while they have all the power and economy, new trucks ain't cheap.

Teach your groundies to drive a stick! Kick them in the ass and learn them! Nothing like a good old embarrassing moment to get the ego to learn how to drive a damn truck that they make their money with. DO not let them start in anything but first gear so that when they are under load they do not cook your clutch. Your truck should have enough torque that you start in first at an idle, even under load, just like a big truck. They probably drive it like it is their Honda and that just doesn't work with big trucks.

Good luck!

Back