1970 Cheverolet C-60 Chipper Truck Dump Body with side winder chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joel.tyson@gmai

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am looking to start a small tree service business for mostly weekend warrier work to get firewood and make a little extra $$$$. Plus I like doing the work. I saw this truck/chipper/dump combo on craigslist and would like to hear any opinions on this rig. Apparrently the truck tops out at 50-55 on highway. The owner said the truck works fine and he has been restoring over the last few years. Anyway, wondering if the sidewinder chipper will work for small branches and if its easy to work on and get parts if needed.

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/bfs/1410281469.html

Hello all,
I am looking to start a small tree service business for mostly weekend warrier work to get firewood and make a little extra $$$$. Plus I like doing the work. I saw this truck/chipper/dump combo on craigslist and would like to hear any opinions on this rig. Apparrently the truck tops out at 50-55 on highway. The owner said the truck works fine and he has been restoring over the last few years. Anyway, wondering if the sidewinder chipper will work for small branches and if its easy to work on and get parts if needed.

The thing I would consider if I was you is the size and weight of that vehicle. It will severely limit you almost always having to drag the brush and logs to the street. In contrast a smaller dump with a tow behind chipper will allow you to get in to far more yards to give you better access to material. I think you would be much happier.

Go with a smaller truck if you are just a weekend warrior. The bigger the truck the more maintenance, plus you might have to inspect that truck twice a year. The cargo cab in that truck is too much wasted space. If you are going to be doing mostly big removals then you might want to go with a bigger truck.

Have you ever done tree work before?

The thing I would consider if I was you is the size and weight of that vehicle. It will severely limit you almost always having to drag the brush and logs to the street. In contrast a smaller dump with a tow behind chipper will allow you to get in to far more yards to give you better access to material. I think you would be much happier.

I didn't see any chipper in the photos. I'm assuming the chipper is some small 3" capacity machine or something?

For anything smaller than a 12" capacity machine, that truck is too big. For a 6" chipper or smaller, a regular 3/4 or 1-ton pickup with an 8' chip box is plenty big and, like Stihl-O said, you'll have a much easier time of getting a smaller truck into places than that big rig.

Look around for a used pickup dump truck and build your own chip box on it like I did (see attachment). You don't need a 12' bed like I have. An 8' or even 6' box would do with a smaller chipper - especially if you're just using it part time.

Have a 74 GMC C65 with a dump bed and a Bandit 90 XP. We built a chip box on the truck. Good combo but I would rather have a 1 ton dump. Not easy to roll down the road in the C65 when gas is over 3 bucks a gallon. It really starts eating into profits. When gas was like 4 bucks a gallon last year we were spending over a thousand bucks a week in fuel for all the vehicles we were rolling. And as has been mentioned, your going to be able to get into tighter spots with a 1 ton.

Thanks for your replies! So far, I have two saws - husky 455 rancher 20" bar and a husky 395xp w/ 28" bar , and a weaver double D harness w/ lanyard. I still need - ascenders, possibley descenders, pullies, more rope, a climbing saw, and the obvious a truck and chipper. Wesspur.com seems to have the best prices online for climbing gear. I have done tree work off an on for a few years. I am learning to climb now. My plans are to start the business and have a friend of mine run it. I have a few jobs lined up with very large removals - 1 pin oak with a 3 ft base and a maple with a 4 ft base. I want a truck that can carry the chipped brush and around 3 cords. My budget is around 8,000 to start. I found another truck - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1408150018.html - 1996 gmc dump that looks pretty good. Just need to find a chipper to go with it. I think a 6 inch would be good to start with. Any reccomendations for a 6 inch used chipper? In the 3- 4 k range. :greenchainsaw:
thanks

Thanks for your replies! So far, I have two saws - husky 455 rancher 20" bar and a husky 395xp w/ 28" bar , and a weaver double D harness w/ lanyard. I still need - ascenders, possibley descenders, pullies, more rope, a climbing saw, and the obvious a truck and chipper. Wesspur.com seems to have the best prices online for climbing gear. I have done tree work off an on for a few years. I am learning to climb now. My plans are to start the business and have a friend of mine run it. I have a few jobs lined up with very large removals - 1 pin oak with a 3 ft base and a maple with a 4 ft base. I want a truck that can carry the chipped brush and around 3 cords. My budget is around 8,000 to start. I found another truck - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1408150018.html - 1996 gmc dump that looks pretty good. Just need to find a chipper to go with it. I think a 6 inch would be good to start with. Any reccomendations for a 6 inch used chipper? In the 3- 4 k range. :greenchainsaw:
thanks

this is all you need man

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1440911082.html

oh yeah that and tree climbers companion

thanks

I will have a 12" Altec chuck and duck for sale in early spring for $4500 if still need one. Strong machine, tears :censored: up. Maybe we'll see each other around i'm local myself. Stay safe :cheers:

this is all you need man

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/ctd/1440911082.html

oh yeah that and tree climbers companion

Looks like a two wheel peel though...and needs an oil pump?? sounds like some trouble there.

I have found the 4-wheel one ton to be an ideal truck. Are you gonna fit 3 cord? no. but it beats that helpless feeling of the tires spinning in a two wheel, thats when it get like a circus. I had one for a while when I started, I know.

I gotta agree with MDS, even though your on a tight budget and new to the biz, a 4x4 is the way to go. Everything I run, other than my lil Ranger is 4x4 (and oh yeah, that damned box truck...), and I lock the hubs ALOT.

It beats breaking out the come-along and beating yourself to death trying to get your truck unstuck.

$.02

T

My budget is around 8,000 to start. I found another truck - http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/cto/1408150018.html - 1996 gmc dump that looks pretty good.

This looks like a scam post to me - someone who takes the ad from someone else and ads their contact info to it while listing it for a lower price in a vague location in order to get your attention. Beware...

Unless that truck is shelled, it's likely going to sell for at least twice that much - probably around $10k.

the way to test such ads is to respond with a request for a name and phone number. Don't give them your info, ask for theirs. If they respond with anything but what you asked for, it's not legit. I hate it when scammers mess with you and get you all excited about a great buy that's too good to be true...

If, however, that ad is legit, I'd be asking myself why it's selling for only $4k when another truck 26 years older and not nearly as nice looking is selling for almost as much. Somethings not right there.

Last edited:
Looks like a two wheel peel though...and needs an oil pump?? sounds like some trouble there.

I have found the 4-wheel one ton to be an ideal truck. Are you gonna fit 3 cord? no. but it beats that helpless feeling of the tires spinning in a two wheel, thats when it get like a circus. I had one for a while when I started, I know.

Now that truck looks familiar! My 90 f350 is a great truck - even though it's only 2wd. I don't do much tree work in winter and I've only once gotten my truck stuck in the work that I do. if I was doing land reclamation or something offroad, then I would absolutely want 4wd.

That truck witht he oil pump problem may have other issues to be selling for only $2k. It's also only a gas engine and likely a gas hog. If it ran well at all and if the box and hoist were in good operating order, it would be worth twice that. I can't tell from the photos what the paint is like but it doesn't look bad.

I'd have a mechanic look it over well. If the repairs wouldn't cost you more than $1k or so, it might not be a bad truck. Just remember, you get what you pay for.

A chuck and duck isn't a bad way to get started. Dangerous but effective for someone who wants to keep the bigger wood for firewood.

That was just as an example but good points.

I gotta agree with MDS, even though your on a tight budget and new to the biz, a 4x4 is the way to go. Everything I run, other than my lil Ranger is 4x4 (and oh yeah, that damned box truck...), and I lock the hubs ALOT.

It beats breaking out the come-along and beating yourself to death trying to get your truck unstuck.

$.02

T

I can remember trying to back the two wheel 82 chevy dump up this long azzed rediculously steep driveway with nowhere to turn around at the top, without low range and the 410 gears, it was like nascar in reverse, only with truck and chipper. Then as I'd as I start to get to the the top, it would start spinning and hopping and I'd have to start all over from the bottom. I got it, but I knew I needed a 4 wheel, and soon.

Last edited:
Unless that truck is shelled, it's likely going to sell for at least twice that much - probably around $10k.

I don't know. I have seen some old Asplundh trucks go pretty damn cheap here lately in that 1994 to 1996 year range. I would not give $10K for that old 14 year old 366 gas engine truck. I like your thinking though, because I have some old junk I am about to sell.

Hello all,

I looked at another truck that guy was selling. It was dumping flatbed with a knuckleboom loader. I would say his equipment is well used and PA. winters take their effect on those older trucks. I would keep looking if I were you. Since you are coming here and asking other guys what they think, that must mean maybe you have some doubts about the equipment? Keep looking.

not sure what it's like in your area.

here them big old trucks are a DMV inspector magnet, they see $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ in fines.good for the state, not for you.

I don't know. I have seen some old Asplundh trucks go pretty damn cheap here lately in that 1994 to 1996 year range. I would not give $10K for that old 14 year old 366 gas engine truck. I like your thinking though, because I have some old junk I am about to sell.

I forgot Asplundh trucks are gassers. I was thinking 5.9 cummins.

I suppose you guys see more of those trucks in the areas where Asplundh is well-established. they haven't yet saturated SD so we don't see too many orange trucks unless someone has picked one up on auction from out of state...

Back