1970 tj 217 purchasing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky372

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
perkins diesil enginge. wants 7500 but said he would work on the price. i can probably get it for 7 delivered. any problms i should be looking for. center section looked ok tires are fairly bald chains on back, winch has been redone. have'nt heard it run yet but says it runs good. getting to clear my land and to do some part time logging.

Hi David ,

Whats going on ? Thats the TJ from the Auto Hunter is'nt it ? Sounds like a good deal but it is a pretty old machine,make sure you check the center pins while you have someone raise an lower the blade with pressure on it,check for cracks around the front & rear ends , and cracks around the cable arch etc.. Again it is a pretty old machine, you should take a trip to Nash's in Colebrook he'll put you in a good machine for a decent price he's very fair to deal with. I'm curently in the process of buying a 1992 Deere 648 E single arch grapple from him for $32 k very nice machine though new paint , new winch , 120" bunching grapple , 4 brand new Primex 30.5 x 32 tires , solid tight machine with 4200 hours on it.

Later Rob

hey rob long time no speak. heavey equipment trader. saw it move today looked it over pretty thoughally but not quit like you said to though. seems to be in fairly good shape. but your right it is old (34 years). but for 6500 it works into my budget real nice especially since right now i cant log full time. i would love to be able to spend 20-30,000 on one but that is just not possible right now. sure hope if i do get it it's not a bad move. does Nash have anything cheaper up there?

If your not totaly done looking, give this guy a call.
Norman Legault
(802)-247-3144
cell (802)-236-0960
111 Partridge trail
Brandon Vt. 05733
He has a franklin for $7500.

Hi Rob, long time no hear. Things going good your way???
Ed.

Can't say much, think its a 180, w/ detroit, good tires, chains all around and pins and bushings are good. This what the owner was telling at a class we were taking. I was talking to him mostly of selling green lumber, and what he'd pay. Guess he brokers anything to do with the timber industry.
Ed

Don't know it was the first time I met him. He seems to know a great deal about the industry. Also there where a couple guys from Conkey Forest Products that seemed to know him well.
We were all there for credits towards our Master logger cert.
Eddie Nash is real crediable but thats a long haul to go see what he has. Its a real impresive yard he has.
Ed

Cheap skidder

ya dude if you really look around you can find some good deals. Recently around here a 240 timberjack around an 1987 went for $9000 Canadian. It was also in excellent shape. A women actually owned it and sold it. Had the 24 tires on it, the guy that bought it put the 18s on it. the wide rubber does not have crap for traction in the snow.

Hey whats up guys , ya long time no talk I know I've been wicked busy up here lately I have been working with another logging company for a few months now..he's a close friend but we have enough work to keep us logging until atleast December so it's good. Ya it is a ride to Eddie's place but well worth the trip he does have alot of stuff under 10 K for sale tons of TJ's and Tree Farmers some Cats and Deere's also. If you want to go sometime let me know you can ride up when I go to get my new one. Just check that 217 over like I said and you should be all set man, let me know if you get it and if you ever need a hand keep me in mind I will help on weekends if you need it.. Hey whats up Ed staying busy my friend ? I hope so how's the family doing ? Well hopefully we can all get together sometime for a bite to eat and chat.. Keep me posted

Rob

Sounds like a heck of a deal on a skidder Rob, 4200 hours , not even broke in yet, ya long time no hear, glad to hear your staying busy though.

Any y'all going to the forestry expo in springfield Ma ?
I'm going to a class on fri then check it all out.
Rob, things are ok here. tho my jobs closed down for mud season.
Ed

i'll be there ED dont know on what day though.

rob i went up there today (nash's) the man most definatly has alot of equipment.just wish he had prices on all of it instead of just some i saw a few very nice skidders but from what i saw i wopuld say i will be better off with the one around here it is in better shape from what i have seen of it than the ones he probably has for 10000. i swear he had one that had a price of 24000 tj240 1978 the one here seemed in better dhape than it and i can get it for 6500.

oh yeh ED you wernt kidding about a long ride 217 miles up 5hrs. way back came home differant way 255 miles 4hrs.

Hey guys I'll be at the expo both days for sure.. Hopefully we can all catch up and meet finally, ya David Nas's place is a long ride but well worth the ride he sells good machinery,all you had to do was go into the office and get their price sheet they haqve a ton of them and then just walk the yards and match the ,achines with serial numbers. Did you walk all three yards he has like the one 2 miles up the road ? thats were all the skidders are. Well I gotta fly I'll see you in Springfield guys if you want I'll give you my cell # and you can call me when you get there ? Let me know email me at [email protected] and I'll send it to to you.

Later Rob

i wish i knew he had a price sheet in the office:rolleyes: but i got there late in the day and just started looking around. he most definatly had some nice machines. yes to going to both yard second was by accident becuase i decided to go that way home. anyway hope to see you at the show. also you said you where going up there to pick up yours. does that mean you have a truck to pick it up with. if you want company let me know i'll be more than happy to go up there with you.

Hi David ,

No I dont have my own truck but I have a few guys that haul my stuff for me,but no Nash is gonna deliver it to me and it's a good thing too cause I just put myself out of commission for the next 6-8 weeks on monday..Bucking logs on the log pile monday afternoon and the saw got pinched for a second and when it decided to jump out well it jumped right on top of my left foot severing my big toe and the one next to it the sad past is it cut right through the steel toe on my new redwings I just bought that weekend,so needless to say I'm on crutches for a while but atleast they put me back together. Well hopefully I'll be better for the expo cause I really dont want to miss it. Later Rob

Thanks David , sorry to hear about your loan problems.. Call Suzy at Nash's and ask her what they have for under 10 K she'll set you up right and they do their own financing right there..If you need the number up there email me and I'll get it to you today.. If I get my skidder I will probably be looking for someone to run it for me for a month or two if your interested.. I'll have to se when I can get it delivered first though,and find out if my partner wants another operator for a while .. I'll let you know

Geeezzzz Rob, ruined a good pair of redwings.
Really, I'm sorry to hear you hurt yourself. Hope you are up to gittin around at the show, least I'll be able to recognize you.

Back