First post, looking for new saw purchase help.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I were you I'd give the husky 555 a hard look.

Based on what you're saying you don't really need a 70cc saw or larger.

With something like a 555, 562 or stihl 362 you could reasonably run an 18-20" bar very well in Hardwoods; such bars would enable you to cut about 32-36" wood at maximum.

A 550 or other 50 cc saw could well be adequate but if you're comfortable limbing out the smaller stuff with your 335 then this reduces some of the need for the saw to have really good handling for limbing.

Do yourself a favor though and sort out the brake on your top handled saw.

I second the 555..i ran one for a few hours last weekend and was impressed !

I am probably just the opposite of most of the guys on this form. When my finances are not what I would like them to be, and I need a tool, I buy the least expensive thing that will get the job done. Would I like snap-on tools? Sure, but my stuff is mostly the lowes kobalt tools. Would I rather have Deere/Kubota (i seen no difference in the quality of their current models)? Yup, but my Mahindra was 15K less expensive, and works the land fine. I own one pro saw, but it's because I've got big trees. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy that 445 and never look back. I got mine new for about $270 4 years ago, I beat the #### out of it and all it has needed was oil and gas. Like I said, would a 550xp put a bigger grin on your face? Absolutely, but is it worth twice the money if you don't really need a pro saw?

I was always tough to buy the best i could afford, second hand pro is better than new cheapo, likewise i was tough to run with the shortest bar i could get away with, no point in running 36" when 20" will do the job.

I am probably just the opposite of most of the guys on this form. When my finances are not what I would like them to be, and I need a tool, I buy the least expensive thing that will get the job done. Would I like snap-on tools? Sure, but my stuff is mostly the lowes kobalt tools. Would I rather have Deere/Kubota (i seen no difference in the quality of their current models)? Yup, but my Mahindra was 15K less expensive, and works the land fine. I own one pro saw, but it's because I've got big trees. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy that 445 and never look back. I got mine new for about $270 4 years ago, I beat the #### out of it and all it has needed was oil and gas. Like I said, would a 550xp put a bigger grin on your face? Absolutely, but is it worth twice the money if you don't really need a pro saw?

I hear what you're saying. I'm still not really clear on the major differences between the xp and non XP saws. What are the significant mechanical differences between a 445 and a 346XP?

I hear what you're saying. I'm still not really clear on the major differences between the xp and non XP saws. What are the significant mechanical differences between a 445 and a 346XP?

XP is a pro saw, built for commercial use. Has a metal case, instead of plastic. Easier to work on. More power. Lighter for same cc size. Last longer. More value, higher resale, etc, etc, etc...

I was always tough to buy the best i could afford, second hand pro is better than new cheapo, likewise i was tough to run with the shortest bar i could get away with, no point in running 36" when 20" will do the job.

+1 on the don't outbar your chainsaw. I generally don't recommend used saws to people who sound like occasional users, and might not know how to fix a saw. I do not know Gadjeep's comfort level with saw repair, but saws, even pro ones, have lots of stuff that wears out with time. I am not saying that a 346 or a 026 are not better saws than a 445/ms251. When you buy used, it's hard to know exactly how used. Is the PTO side crank seal about to start leaking? What about the rubber intake boot? Will the occasional user be able to recognize a lean condition before he scores the piston? The new saws are remarkably trouble free, and if properly gassed, will last nearly forever with weekend warrior use. If gajeep knows his way around saw repair, and has the time to replace rings, fuel lines, do carb kits etc, then I totally agree a used pro saw would be perfect for him. I've had to do all the things listed in the last sentence on my used 385xp in the few years I've owned it, and I would buy that saw again in a second!

Last edited:
I have cut a lot of wood with my 455 and it has never let me down. There are far more homeowner saws cutting firewood than pro saws.:msp_ohmy:

So i wasn't able to pull off getting the Husky that I wanted but i got this Stihl MS290, 20" bar and two chains locally for a pretty good price. Runs awesome and after some cleaning looks damn good too. It was covered in redwood saw dust and looked about a hundred years old but a little soap and water cleaned it right up. Looking forward to putting it to use this weekend. Now to get the rest of my PPE :D

View attachment 287915View attachment 287916

Back